Solar Water Filtration for 300 Haiti Kids

RWB
RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
You can see how big of a deal solar water filter units can make for people who have no electricity.

http://www.youtube.com/powerenz

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Water Filtration for 300 Haiti Kids

i'm not sure why the pump was needed when it could've been gravity fed to the filters. i guess they also needed somebody on top to guard that nobody stepped on the pv.;)
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I agree Neil a simple tap at the bottom of that big tank would give enough pressure to feed the filtration system. It seems to me like solar was used for really no other purpose that to show off that solar panel and if cynical for the manufacturer/supplier to earn some brownie points
    Also there was no regulation of the solar panel output that I could see, ??? As the panel most likely has an output of about 20?v and the pump is 12v??:confused:
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL Yes it could have been gravity fed but these people had no water filter unit in the first place. The solar was given to the group that went to haiti to help with clean water. I'm sure they did not know before hand what would be needed or what would actually be there to work with.

They did know that as long as they had the pump and panel and sun that they would be able to produce clean water.

The solar panel directly to the pump is not ideal but it does work in a disaster situation.

You can see power lines and meters in the background but power is not available there right now.

The filter, pump, and panel can be used anywhere there is water to pull from vs just with the large tank they have there.

The panels were given to help out, they rigged it up as you see.

I thought it was cool to see how much simple clean water can mean to people.

You can walk on those panels with out any issues as long as you have nothing sharp on the bottom of your shoes.
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

By the look of it, It is a reverse osmosis filter, You need 3 > 5+ bar of pressure for it to work, That looks similar to a car fuel injection pump on the end of the pipe, which would give 6 bar ish @ 12v,

Have a good one
    Tim