3.36kW Residential DIY GT system Install

Options
2»

Comments

• pbartko
    pbartko Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: 3.36kW Residential DIY GT system Install

Today I went to the local trophy shop to inquire about making signage for the PV components. I need labels at the Utility meter, DC disconnect, and AC disconnect. They need to be durable, weatherproof and permanent. At the trophy shop I picked out a durable plastic laminate. They normally charge $0.15 per character for engraving, but she gave me a discount considering the size of the signs. $26 for three signs.

Attached are drawings of the three signs they are making for me.

Pete B
  • pbartko
    Options

Today my electrician came over to review the system and test it out. He didn’t find any problems so we followed the commissioning instructions and turned the system on to test. It took a few seconds for the Sunnyboy to boot up, but then it started putting out 2kW of energy back into the grid! Everything worked!!!

inverterfinal.jpg
    Here is a final photo of the inverter with the hazard placard installed.

acdisconnect2.jpg
    Here is a final photo of the AC disconnect with the hazard placard installed.

meterold.jpg
    Here is my old meter with the hazard placard installed. Meter will be replaced with a new net-metering meter by the utility BGE.

We scheduled the electrical inspection for Monday.

I also have received conditional approval from BGE for my interconnect to their grid. After the electrical inspection, they will send out someone to inspect and replace the meter. Then the system will be completely finished.

Pete B
  • pbartko
    Options

The county electrical inspector came by to day to inspect the system. It was raining, so he didn't go up on the roof. However, I had plenty of photos to show him what I had done. He was particularly interested in the grounding scheme used on the roof. He took a look inside the load center. Overall he liked the work and didn't find any violations.

Now after passing inspection, the next step is to send the inspection certificate to our utility BGE. Then they will schedule a time to perform their inspection and replace my old meter with a new net metering one. So far so good.

Pete B
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it all seems painfully slow doesn't it? it'll happen and good deal so far as it looks good.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i know staples for romex are at least every 3 feet. not too sure of conduit.

Romex, flex and MC are all the same - within 12" of the box, and every 4'.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm. ok 3ft is what i did to stay within 4ft.:D i was already aware of within 12in of the boxes.
    i think i need an upgrade for my memory capacity. mine's measured in dodo bites.:cry::p:p
  • pbartko
    Options

Niel, you were correct about painfully slow.

After 3 wks, our electric company BGE finally replaced our electric meter with a new Net Metering Meter. This morning, I received final approval to connect my solar system to the electric grid. The whole process was supposed to take a maximum of two weeks. When I called last week to question why it was past due, they indicated that the two week window was dependent on the weather.

I'll post some performance data in a few days (it's rainy here today, bad solar day).

Next I can register with our Public Service Commission here in Maryland to be a certified renewable energy producer. Then I can sell renewable energy credits. My system should produce 4 credits a year. Each credit is selling for approx $300-325 right now and will start dropping in a few years. Between all the grants, tax credits, offset electric usage, and renewable energy credits, I will have payback in only 3-4 years!

Pete B
  • pbartko
    Options

We had a good full day of sun yesterday. Generated 21kWhr of electricity. Not bad from a 3.36kW system. I installed a solar radiation sensor on my Davis Vantage Pro weather station to compare Insolation to Inverter Output Power. I mounted the solar radiation sensor on the roof alongside the solar panels. Peak Inverter output for the Sunnyboy 3000US is 3.05 kW. Here is yesterday's data:

10-05-20_plot.jpg

Typically the inverter turns on a few minutes after sun rise and turns off a few minutes before sunset. These 16 Evergreen panels appear to be a very good match for this inverter. Middle of June should give maximum solar radiation on the panels, as the sun will be perpendicular to them. Looks like I have a bit more headroom in the inverter output for that.

Can't wait to get our next electric bill (not looking forward to paying it however). Being an all electric household, we will still be buying electricity from BGE. Good news for Maryland residents interested in Solar, State Legislature has recently passed new solar laws. Now we can produce more electricity than we consume, and the electric utilities have to pay you for it. Previously, anything you generated in excess of what you used was only credited to you for one year, then it the utility would get it for free.

Pete B