reconditioning batteries

Options
higgins
higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
I have been given a 12 volt 110 Ah leisure battery as the owner has bought a new one.The battery's voltage after being charged and at rest is now 12.20,is this battery no use,can it be reconditioned to get it up to good voltage/working condition,what can i use to rescue it or am i wasting my time?:D
Higgins.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: reconditioning batteries

higgens,
    i hope this isn't the same leisure battery you mentioned in another thread. we frown on duplication. for the record a battery at 12.2v is not fully charged. do me a favor and tell me what a leisure battery is. i thought that all batteries leisurely lay around.:p
  • higgins
    Options

Neil be kind to me please,i'm on a steep learning curve here,:cry:
    Higgins
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

Perhaps leisure ~=~ recreation ~=~ RV?
  • higgins
    Options
    Kamala wrote: »
    Perhaps leisure ~=~ recreation ~=~ RV?
    Sorry guys i'm from the uk,a simple clarification is in order from me,leisure battery is from a caravan it will be similar in use to an RV battery,hope this clears up the confusion!Seriously though,is there any thing that can be done with it?
    :blush:Higgins
  • Kamala
    Options

If the resting voltage is only 12.2 after full charge (should be 12.7) it is probably damaged. If it is a non-maintenance free type you may be able to "restore" it through a controlled over charge known as equalization. Go to the host's site and read the battery FAQs.
  • higgins
    Options

There are some screw caps on top,what readings of SG should tell me that the battery can be revived,also what chemicals would i need to do this,the battery does not seem to have had much overcharging and probably not been used enough,what indicators do i need to know that it is worth having a go at restoring it's functionality,thanks,
    Higgins.
  • Kamala
    Options

The only chemical you need is distilled water.

Go through the Northern Arizona Wind & Sun online store site. You don't need to but anything from them but if you do, you will be pleased. You can learn a lot about solar products, how they are used and how they might or might not fit into your plans or budget.

Also, Check out their Solar Information Site. Here you will find FAQs that address many issues regarding batteries, charge controllers, mount and much more.

K
  • higgins
    Options

Many thanks Kamala,i will check out all the links,by the way i love to learn accidentally,thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
    Higgins.:D