Be careful of links and downloads posted on boards...

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
For Everyone,

We have several posts today for a Russian website advertising a trojan removal link (.exe file for download).

I have tried to get these down as soon as I can--but we cannot be here 24x7...

Always be careful of what you click on and download...

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Be careful of links and downloads posted on boards...

Does this forum software have the option to disable the http link feature based on say number of posts or user type?

Would other option would be to ban posting for say the first week a new user is created? I don't know what this vBulletin can do, just some thoughts as your not moderating the account creation and makes wack-a-mole a fulltime sport:roll:
  • BB.

I have just asked Windsun if he can ban ".exe, .com, .vb, etc." in links (I think he can).

We have had discussions about needing to be "approved" before the first post can be seen by the community (first post moderated)...

The concern is that the forum would be frustrating for first time posters waiting for one of us to "approve the post" vs the issue of spammer blocking. Trying to be open and "friendly" for all...

-Bill :confused:

PS: Solar Guppy--thank you for posting on that last spammer post a warning about the bad link before one of us could get here to delete.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Bill, with vBulletin software, it's easy to make changes like you mentioned, based on the extension. I'm sure you knew that by now, though. The reason for this post is to give you guys a link to a page that will show you what 100% of the webpage extensions happen to be: http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles2/countrycode.htm
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • BB.

I am not an administrator here--so there is not much I can do...

I have been exchanging messages with Windsun about blocking extensions and such--At this point, it ends up being a trade-off between trying to have an open forum for everyone to use--vs something locked down and very frustrating for new and "power" users.

Still looking for that "happy medium".

-Bill