Bluesky vs Moringstar MPPT

RWB
RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys can you give me your knowledge and opinion on the differences between the 2 solar charge controllers listed below like build Quality, MPPT Software, Efficiency, ect.... Anything that stands out in your minds that makes one better than the other besides the 10A of extra solar input the Bluesky SCC gives you.

Sunsaver MPPT 15A

&

Bluesky Solar Boost 2512ix

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Bluesky vs Moringstar MPPT

I guess both work well. Bluesky is an older unit design and has some issues (running an AC Inverter while the sun is up can confuse the MPPT circuits--if I recall correctly).

The Morning Star is a much more current design and one of the leaders out there for small MPPT controllers.

The Rogue MPPT 30 Amp controller has also received some good feedback here too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Can't speak about the Morningstar, but I'm sure the others (especially Solar Guppy) will.

I have had a 2512 ix for ~5 years now and it has worked fine. I have rigged up a couple of meters so I can measure the actual input. In the early morning, and the batteries are a bit down (I never let mine get below ~80%dod), I see Mppt boost of ~10-15%. As the temps warm, and the batteries come up the spread diminishes to about par.

It seems to hit it's bulk, absorb and float voltages right on, and the temperature correction seems to work fine. On balance I don't think the BS is a world class performer but I think it is a pretty good controller for the money.

That said, I have moved on to a Rogue 30 amp mppt controller. I like the rogue, especially I like the data capability that is on board with the rogue. It also seems to have a very good mppt conversation rate. (Tune in a couple of weeks and I will have a side by side comparison posted to give a real life, real time comparison).

Tony
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

T
    hat said, I have moved on to a Rogue 30 amp mppt controller. I like the rogue, especially I like the data capability that is on board with the rogue. It also seems to have a very good mppt conversation rate.

I got a demo model of the Rouge to evaluate. Out of the box it looks solid, I just had to open it up right away and check out the circuit board and it looks well laid out and the big toroid transformer seems well secured to the circuit board. I then hooked it up to a 115 watt panel and and charged a couple of 100 amp hour marine style batteries to get an idea of how it works. When the snow clears and the mud dries out, I will hook it up to a 360 watt array I have mounted on a trailer and see how it performs charging a couple of L16's that I still need to pick up.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

what i dislike about the bluesky stuff is the low input voltage and that limits you on some configurations or pvs. the efficiencies are fairly close with the morningstar a bit better, but morningstar stuff is a bit pricey. if going for portable where there's no nec rules to worry about i'd say consider the rogue although i'm not sure of the price comparison with the rogue.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Niel makes a good point that I had forgotten.

You can only run a 12 vdc array and charge a 12vdc battery bank (nom voltages)with the 2512ix.

The Rogue will allow a 24 vdc PV (or even 36 if I remember right) and battery configuration both 12 and 24. This may be a big factor in any decision to buy a controller.

The BS does have a nice load control function however. When the battery goes to float, you can divert the PV directly to a load so that you can use that load directly from the PV and not mess up the float voltage of the battery, allowing you (by load shifting) use more of your Pv capacity.

Tony
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The Rogue controller does seem to have a nice MPPT algorithm it works well and handles shading changes nicely. I have 660 watts of pv feeding the Rogue with a voc of around 50vdc and it works well.