Backup generator

Options
booboo
booboo Solar Expert Posts: 39
I am looking at installing a grid-tie solar system using an inverter like a Xantrex GT. Can you put a backup generator into a system like this for when the grid goes down.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Backup generator

I would probably recommend that you install the transfer such that it does not include the GT inverter as part of the generator's "Load"...

Grid Tie Inverters pretty much rely on the Grid to absorb all of the current/energy the inverter can put out... If the Grid Tie Inverter exceeds your loads (or the generator frequency changes much from 60 Hz), I would expect the GT inverter to shut down and time out for 5 minutes--then try to do the whole thing over again.

Your best bet would be to call Xantrex (or whomever brand's inverter you are interested in) and check their recommendations.

Another web site you can check with Solar Guppy's--he is a design engineer currently working at Xantrex (and works with the Xantrex GT products). He also supports software to download, log, and display Xantrex inverter data.

http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/index.php

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset