Icy Wind Turbines

Options
GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
This is an interesting site. The past few days we've been having freezing rain and there's a half inch of ice on everything. I even had to tap the ice off of my internet antenna to get service back. Didn't think that the turbines would be moving when all that ice build up was on them. Seems that they've auto-balanced themselves. Look at the picture.

I'd hate to be in the way of those stalagmites when they let go....
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Icy Wind Turbines

that's still a lot of extra weight to it and therefor a lot of stress so i think an inspection would be in order asap.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

They're running OK now. The ice and snow are gone. We've got 30mph winds to boot. All systems GO, Captain !
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

I had my 10ft other power turbine freeze up like that and the stator was froze. 30 seconds feeding power backwards and the stator warmed enough to free things up. would not want to be in the immediate area when it sheds its ice though
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the 23rd I noticed my H80 not moving except as a wind direction indicator. I figured a bearing had seized (Truthsquad thought it might be a crashed rotor and magnets). Came home from holiday travels this morning and found a nice present...the turbine was producing!

Must have been some moisture in the nacelle and the fridgid temperatures resulted in cementing things together? Things have warmed up to the freezing mark from -15deg Cel. Saved myself thousands of virtual dollars in replacement.

Ralph

fingers crossedhttp://forum.solar-electric.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    Thumbs up
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Options

Yes, if water gets inside the Whisper and freezes, it won't move. It's an "open nacelle" unit, so this does happen. Didn't know you had weather, Ralph----didn't mean to scare ya! 8)
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

These units are protected very well against weather. There are two small openings, one is a 1/8" gap around the shaft/prop assembly and the other is underneath for a drain hole. And yes, they were producing a couple volts spinning slow. Lately it's been warming up and windy.

It was pretty wild seeing all the ice on the rooftops melt and come crashing down like a glacier. Sounded like the walls were coming down.
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've never (in the last 32 years) had any icing problems with my Jacobs or my previous Windpower machine. If it was windy enough to turn the blades, any ice built up slowly and evenly, and it shed easily as either the sun came out or it turned faster. Never any problems with ice in the generator or governor. We have had ice enough in the area over the years, when the machine was operating, to close the interstate hiway, and to bring down trees and power lines from the ice.