small generator questions

notsobright
notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
more noob questions!

I have 346w PV and 215ah battery w/100ah back-up battery and two inverters, one is 300w PSW the other is 1500w MSW

Im intrested in a Generator only for charging the batteries when PV supply cant meet demand. (extended cloud cover)

what type and size of generator should I be looking at? high fuel efficiency and reliablility are my main concerns.

can they charge 12vdc directly or would I also need a specific charger and if so what would that be and is there anything else I might also need to charge my system with?

thanks

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: small generator questions

Honda Eu 1000i with an IOTA 15 amp charger or a Xantrex TC 10 or 20.

You don't want to use the 12 volt charging side of a little generator to charge a large battery.
  • notsobright

I like Honda's! no question they are reliable and efficient but do I even need one as big as their smallest generator? if something smaller would work it might save fuel but doubtful it would be a match for Honda Reliability. still Im curious if there is something smaller. mainly just out of curiousity..
    icarus wrote: »

You don't want to use the 12 volt charging side of a little generator to charge a large battery.

why is that?

Im also curious if its worth it in my case since its a small RV and I can charge with the onboard engine altenator which is an 80amp unit. I think the small generator would save fuel though but Im not certain because the lesser amp charge rate it would have even though thats better for the batteries. would it really be saving fuel though. hmm
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

There are very few generators smaller than 1000w. There are quite a few 1000w generators that are far cheaper than the Hondas and any of them will run an Iota charger no problem - and you don't need True Sine Wave to run those chargers either.

On most small generators, the 12v is unregulated - handy maybe for bulk charging, but not really, since they don't put out much. My 2000w Honeywell says the 12v output is good for 8a which is half what the smallest Iota would put out plugged into the same generator's 120v output.

While any small generator will do to run the battery charger, the main advantage of using an inverter type generator is that as the battery fills, the charger backs off, and the inverter generator will detect that and throttle back - thus saving fuel.
  • icarus

DHW writes "There are very few generators smaller than 1000w. There are quite a few 1000w generators that are far cheaper than the Hondas and any of them will run an Iota charger no problem - and you don't need True Sine Wave to run those chargers either." The reality is by the time you factor in Power factor correction you will need nearly 600 watts to run a 15 amp 12 vdc generator.

There may be lots of gennies cheaper than Honda Eu, but few will come close to performance and fuel economy. (the yamaha/kawasaki/mitsubishi inverter series, plus the Kiror Chinese honda clones) Personally I wouldn't buy anything other than the Honda.
  • dwh

There is one other consideration, though I'm not sure how critical it is since I don't have one yet and so haven't tried it...

From the specs page for the Iota 15a charger:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls15.htm

"Max Inrush Current, Single Cycle 30 Amps"

EDIT: Though looking more I see that the specs for the 30a charger list max inrush as 27a. The 45a unit says 40a.
  • notsobright

intresting..

what are your thoughts on using a small generator and inverter as opposed to using the engine altenator for charging regarding fuel effciency?

what is "max inrush current"?

thanks
  • dwh

I'm pretty sure max inrush current is the max amount of AC power that the unit can possibly draw. Maybe if you hook it up to a big fat completely dead battery or something when you first fire it up it might hit that peak.

As regards fuel efficiency, the small inverter gen wins hands down. I have a 2000w Honeywell inverter gen that runs anywhere from 8.5-10.5 hours on 1.5 gallons of gas with a light load (10a battery charger and 60w laptop). My RV has a Ford 460 that uses about 5 gallons per hour at highway speeds and about the same at idle.

I expect that when I stick in a couple of AGM batteries and a 30a Iota charger that there will be a bit more load on the little generator, but even running flat out all the time it is way more efficient than the V8.

My truck does also have a "split-charge relay", which is wired to that it is energized (aux battery connected to engine battery) whenever the alternator is putting out power. Now that I understand how they work, I'm a fan of it and glad to have it. If the engine is running and the alternator spinning anyway, and the engine battery is topped up...might as well charge the aux battery while I'm driving.

This is not the same as a so-called "battery isolator". For a discussion of the differences, read here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/diodes.html

Also here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/nosurge2.html
  • notsobright

I was thinking the charging time would be so drastically reduced by using the altenator that it might be a tough call.
    dwh wrote: »
    My truck does also have a "split-charge relay", which is wired to that it is energized (aux battery connected to engine battery) whenever the alternator is putting out power. Now that I understand how they work, I'm a fan of it and glad to have it. If the engine is running and the alternator spinning anyway, and the engine battery is topped up...might as well charge the aux battery while I'm driving.

This is not the same as a so-called "battery isolator". For a discussion of the differences, read here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/diodes.html

Also here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/nosurge2.html

havnt seen that one but I thought you were using one of these:

http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm

its not actually a standard isolator. have a read. I like this aproach but Im still reading the link you provided too. I can see there is many more parts involved with the smartguage one.
  • dwh

Mine is similar, but without the added control circuit. It's basically just a heavy relay that is energized by the alternator output. I will be eventually adding a push button so that I can manually activate it to tie the batteries - that way I can jump start off the aux battery without opening the hood.

Before I do though, I want to replace the wiring with something suitably heavy. The fairly lightweight battery cables that are there now are fine for charging, but I wouldn't want to jump start with them.

I may even end up putting in a heavier relay while I'm at it.

The Smartguage is like the one in your link, and then they also have a much smarter computer controller that you can add to it as well. With the computer it can switch on and off depending on various circumstances. For instance, you can set it up so that it doesn't tie in the aux battery until the engine battery is topped off.

As for the reduced time using the engine alternator...it doesn't seem that way on mine. I haven't dug around with a flashlight to figure out what size the engine alternator is...it's a van so getting in there is a pain. But I have hooked up my multi-meter to the back of my inverter with the engine running (and the inverter turned off). The voltage is around 13.6v at idle, and climbs to around 14.3 at high RPM.

So to get the most ooomph out of the alternator you need to be running at a decent RPM. I also know that some alternators don't put out anything at idle.
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭

look for a 2kw genset like the Honda 2000si and a good multiple stage charger. For an RV, I'd suggest one of the better converters like the IntelliPower with ChargeWizard that not only does multi stage charging but has good battery maintenance capability as well. A converter designed for RV use will also be better protection from applying overvoltage to RV appliances.

A good battery charge takes hours. Most RVers who need gensets find it best to charge up for an hour or so in the morning and let the solar top off the charge. That is why the main engine charging is not a good plan because running a big engine for that long is not very efficient. The wiring losses are also usually quite high.

The reason for a 2kw genset rather than a smaller one is that it doesn't cost that much more, will handle higher capacity battery chargers, and be of more utility for operating most A/C appliances if needed.

The 12v output on most gensets is essentially only a high float voltage. It is high enough to put some charge into a low battery but not so high that connecting to a fully charged battery for a few hours is anything worry about (like some low end RV converters). Much better to use an intelligent multi-stage charger.
  • icarus

A 2 kw genset will use proportionally more fuel. The ideal is to match the genny load such that you are running the genny ~75% loaded. A Honda Eu 10001 will push a Xantrex TC 20 just fine, using about 1/4 gallon of fuel per 4 hours. Run that same TC 20 on a EU 2000 and it will use more fuel. Now if you have other uses for the genny, then that might change the equation.

On the other hand, 2 Eu gennies, wired together with parallel cables is a pretty sweet alternative for the occasional larger loads. I wire two Eu 1000s together to run the heat tape on my water line to thaw the line after I have been away for a month or so.

Tony
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

>On the other hand, 2 Eu gennies, wired together with parallel cables is a pretty sweet alternative for the occasional larger loads. I wire two Eu 1000s together to run the heat tape on my water line to thaw the line after I have been away for a month or so.<

Can two generators run 240v in phase ? Won't that pop the breaker on one or the other ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • icarus

Two Eu 1000 generators will put out ~1800 watts @120vac continuously. It will not put out 240vac. I believe two Eu 2000i will put out ~3500 watts at 120 vac, but not 240. I don't know about the 3000 series, I suggest you check honda's web site.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    >On the other hand, 2 Eu gennies, wired together with parallel cables is a pretty sweet alternative for the occasional larger loads. I wire two Eu 1000s together to run the heat tape on my water line to thaw the line after I have been away for a month or so.<

Can two generators run 240v in phase ? Won't that pop the breaker on one or the other ?

The Honda Eu series generators (as well as some of the other brands' similar models) have a set of jacks separate from the power outlets that you plug together to synchronize the inverters. You are then able to get (not quite) double the capacity of a single generator - but IIRC, it's still just 120V.

The idea is you don't have to have a single larger generator running at lower speed (and getting lower fuel economy) to run small loads. You can run just one smaller/quieter/more efficient generator, then pull out the second one and tie them together for the large loads. It also means you don't have to lift / lug a bigger / heavier generator, as it's basically split into two parts.
  • notsobright

very helpful info guys!

looking at the Honda website I see that the 1000iA doesnt not have a "companion" like the model 2000iA and the model 2000iA companion.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=all

are we sure the 1000iA can be linked to another 1000iA to double the wattage?

I really like the idea of having two smaller generators that can be combined.

can more than two be linked together also?

thanks
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Hm, the "companion" is a new model, or at least I'd never seen it before. It isn't necessary to pair the units. If you look at the 1000 "read more" link, it still mentions pairing with another 1000.

Reading the "companion" link indicates it just has a buit-in 30A receptacle instead of you having to use the external pairing kit.
  • icarus

The EU series of inverter generators can be paralleled. I don't know off the top of my head what a 1000i is.

Ps the link to the Eu 1000Ia is the generator I mentioned. It can be paralleled. They keep changing the model numbers, the number that matters is the EU.

What I don't know is can you pair a EU1000 with a EU2000 and get ~3kw? I think not.

Tony
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    The EU series of inverter generators can be paralleled. I don't know off the top of my head what a 1000i is.

Ps the link to the Eu 1000Ia is the generator I mentioned. It can be paralleled. They keep changing the model numbers, the number that matters is the EU.

What I don't know is can you pair a EU1000 with a EU2000 and get ~3kw? I think not. Tony

Yes, you can parallel an EU1000i with an EU2000i. I was at a campground a couple of years ago with someone that did just that.

He was doing it to operate his A/C unit on his RV. Like me, he'd initially bought a 1000 and then later wondered if he could parallel it with a 2000 but couldn't find a definitive answer so he bought the 2000, made a parallel cable with a 30 amp RV plug in the middle, and began experimenting.

I forget the EXACT sequence he had to use since I've never gotten a 2000... but the sequence wouldn't be difficult to figure out. He had to start both without using the "ECO mode", then plug one into the other. I THINK he had to plug the 1K into the 2K but maybe it was the other way 'round. After they were running and after his roof A/C was going, he could switch the 'ECO mode' back on. He would run the A/C at the coldest setting so it wouldn't cycle much. This is starting to sound much more difficult than it actually was.

He also made his own parallel cord rather than buying Honda's VERY pricey set. The expensive set uses shielded banana plugs so that there is no chance of shock. His set just used standard plugs so if one got pulled out when they were running, it would be LIVE at the prongs. That could be a problem if a kid tripped over the wire then touched the plug end. That guy had arranged the two generators so that would be unlikely to happen.

It was a long hot weekend. He had A/C and we didn't. But we camp there only once a year and it didn't seem worthwhile for us to buy an EU2000i just for that.

Sorry about all I've forgotten, but the short answer is that the two different size generators played well together.

Phil
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

That's nice they can be "Stacked" (wattage) together, not on top of one another.... Must be a control somewhere to keep the two in single phase and add on wattage. The only way to add 3 or more is to allow all to communicate in a link like a telephone outlet plug.....Probably not difficult at all for Honda.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • icarus

Thanks Phil,

Like I said, I have 2 EU 1000s that come to me cheap. I would love to have 1 Eu2000. Then I could run all my power tools off of them without having to run the 3800 watt Mitsubishi, or the 5 kw Lister diesel. Two 1000's will run some of the power tools, but the 13 amp worm drive or the table saw like a few more amps to start. I might keep my eye open for a n Eu 2000.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

My personal guess is that the gensets use "droop sharing". An easy way to do this would be to monitor the AC voltage... For example 120 VAC output at zero current. And 115 volts at 100% rated current.

Using droop sharing, you could share multiple gensets and sizes together as long as the had the same setup voltage and same ramp.

You probably get into a safety issue--When you have exactly two sharing any short in the system will always end up drawing no more than rated maximum power.

So, if you have two eu2000i paired, or two eu1000i paired, any shorts between them will be at their designed/rated wiring/plug/switching levels.

However, when you put an eu2000i with an eu1000i or 4x eu2000i in parallel, the total current can exceed the wiring capability. And you would need add a series protection fuse/breaker at each genset (just like a combiner box for solar panel strings). Also, that means that the outlets and down stream wiring should be able to manage N-1x each euX000i current.

"Legally" that would be impossible to do unless each 15 amp receptacle (say eu2000i genset) would need to be replaced with a 30/45/60/etc. rated receptacle to handle the parallelling power.

Or the Honda "combiner box" would need a series protection fuse/breaker per each generator input, plus a master breaker/fuse for the downstream wiring (probably). That would make the box more expensive... Plus how many people would need to run 4+x eu2000i gensets in parallel to get 60 amps at 120 VAC output--My guess is that it would not be a commercially viable product.

The interesting question (to me) is how do they get the frequency to phase together without them hunting (phasing between gensets--creating a weird interactions between motors/inverters). In this case, there is no "Frequency Master", so how do they agree/lock on the frequency (say one is 59.9 Hz and the other is 60.1 Hz).

From looking at the wiring diagram--it looks like you can ignore the banana jacks and simply make a "suicide" Y cord with 30 amp rated cable/down stream plug. There is no magic (that I can find on the web) in the Honda Box.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tvengineer
    tvengineer Solar Expert Posts: 31
    BB. wrote: »

The interesting question (to me) is how do they get the frequency to phase together without them hunting (phasing between gensets--creating a weird interactions between motors/inverters). In this case, there is no "Frequency Master", so how do they agree/lock on the frequency (say one is 59.9 Hz and the other is 60.1 Hz).

From looking at the wiring diagram--it looks like you can ignore the banana jacks and simply make a "suicide" Y cord with 30 amp rated cable/down stream plug. There is no magic (that I can find on the web) in the Honda Box.

-Bill

Think of it as a grid tied inverter with an alternator for an input...

I have looked at the schematics too.. and yes the bannana jacks are just paralled with the output socket...
    I suppose you could plug it into the house and do Co-generation and feed a little back to the utility company.... not that anyone should ever do that :-)
  • BB.
    tvengineer wrote: »
    Think of it as a grid tied inverter with an alternator for an input...

I don't think that is it. The "GRID" is the master in that case. And the GT inverter just needs to follow the voltage (phase lock) and output current in proportion to the voltage and available power from the array ("just" is a loaded term--obviously some very smart people worked long and hard to make a GT inverter). The GRID is almost a pure voltage source and the GT Inverter is probably nearly a pure current source--so they don't interact.

The two Honda gensets are both voltage AC sources. I guess the inverters could test for AC output before they "turn on"... If AC is present (and within specs)--then the second to start would go into "GT" mode and slave to the first.

And, the manual sort of indicates that there maybe a start up sequence:
    Never connect or remove the parallel operation kit when the generator is running.

Could get interesting if the master genset is turned off/runs out of fuel while under load.

But these are all guesses on my part

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

While we're on the topic of the EU gensets, what are these like for long term reliability?
    I guess in typical off-grid applications they'd be running for about 5 hours every 2 days during winter. Everyone seems to love the EU units, but they look to me as though they're suitable for recreational use (small, quiet, petrol).

How do they compare with 1800rpm diesel gensets for long term use in off-grid setups? Will they last 10+ years ?
  • BB.

Long term use--they will not last like an 1,800 RPM diesel... The smaller Honda's don't even have an oil filter.

But, it I don't know if you can find a small 2kW diesel and large diesels can carbon/coke up with light loads.

A smaller propane genset (like those used in RV's) may be a good compromise. Full pressurized lubrication system... But probably still not as fuel efficient as the smaller Honda.

According to Tony/Icarus, there are lots of these used RV gensets to be found at the wreckers.

In the end, measuring fuel flow, kWhrs generated, purchase and maintenance costs, fuel costs per kWhr, etc. are probably what is needed to figure out the optimum solution.

Will the eu2000i last 1,000 hours? Will the low RPM diesel last 10,000 hours. I don't know.

Sort of the problem--you try and conserve and get your home running on a small amount of power, and then find high quality/low power/fuel efficient gensets come down to a couple. And even then, they are not really suited to long term use (no oil filters, light weight, etc.).

Running 400 watts (1/4 load on the eu2000i) is 15 hours and 1.1 gallons of fuel:

1,000 hours * 1/15 hours * 1.1 gallon of fuel = 73.3 gallons of fuel (note, at 1,600 watts it runs about 4 hours on 1.1 gallons of fuel).

73.3 gallons * $3 per gallon = $220 of fuel

So, spend $900+ on a generator that will use $220 of fuel to run a 400 watt load a 1,000 hours...

Get a 1,800 RPM gas/diesel/propane genset, that is bigger, burns more fuel. Is it worth it? Perhaps, if you have a way of getting the fuel to your place and storing it.

For me, because I plan on the eu2000i for emergency power use... 20 gallons of fuel is about all I can practically store and it will run my home in a power outage for quite a while (service stations may not have power, earthquake may knockout natural gas). Always think about a propane conversion and a 100 lb tank... Maybe some day when I get tired of changing the fuel out once a year. But--I can use the fuel in my vehicle if I need to leave--or siphon fuel from my vehicles--so there is a synergy there.

-Bill
  • BB.

I should complete my own cost/benifit analysis, assuming small load of 400 watts, 1,000 hours of generator life, and $100 in misc. costs:
    • $220 of fuel + $900 genset + $100 for plugs/oil/etc. / (0.4kW*1,000 hours) = $3.50 per kWhr
    Assume that we run closer to 50% rated load or 800 watts:
    • $220 * 2 + $900 genset + $100 for plugs/oil/etc. / (0.8kW*1,000 hours) = $1.80 per kWhr
    At rated power, 1,600 watts, brings the cost down to:
    • $220 * 4 + $900 genset + $100 for plugs/oil/etc. / (1.6kW*1,000 hours) = $1.175 per kWhr
    For me, just highlights the difficulty in generating small amounts of cost effective power with a genset.

-Bill
  • icarus

Bill has it about dialed.

My guess is a Honda eu will easily last 1000 hours IF it s taken care of. Regular oil changes, and most particularly not over heated by putting in a tight enclosure.
    15 hours/week is ~780/hours/yr. (1/3 that if you are only having to run it in the wnter)

You are all correct that they are not industrial duty pieces of equipment, but they are very reliable. I think one has to look seriously at what ones loads are likely to be over time. In my case, I use an EU once or twice a month to top of the batteries, and I expect it to last essentially forever. If I had to run 20 hours/week I would consider either a 1800 rpm diesel, or a propane powered Onan. As Bill suggests Onan RV gensets are a dime a dozen, and while not truly industrial grade, a propane powered one will last a long time. (Even a gasoline one will last fine. I still run my 1948 cck 3.5 kw now and again, and it was in 1000 hour/yr seasonal service for ~ 30 years. It has no oil filter, but it has a 10 qt sump!)

I think it is a case of matching the hardware to the task. I could haul 1000 yards of gravel with a Toyota pick up, but I might be better of renting a Peterbilt dump truck with a pup trailer instead. Conversely, I wouldn't use the Pbilt to haul home 2 yards of shavings for the chicken yard.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

For what it's worth, my Honda 1000 has over 3,000 hours on it without a rebuild. It's power is not up to new, of course, and it burns a bit of oil. It was used for all power when I first got it, running 8-10 hours a day every day for four to six months of the year. In its last year we finally got the solar up to snuff and relegated it to back-up charging duties.

Three years ago we 'replaced' it with a 2000 model. That one was first bought for power during a lengthy black-out down on the coast. It has seen fairly heavy use since, but not like the 1000 did. We needed it for running pumps and back-up charging. Still, it's seen over 1500 hours and is running strong. Yes I do keep good track of the time and change the oil every 50 hours.

These things are tanks. Except that they aren't large, noisy, nor consume vast amounts of fuel! :p

BTW, both models can be 'bridged' to a comparable unit to double their output. You can not bridge dissimilar models.
  • notsobright
    Bill has it about dialed.

as usual! Allways comes through and in most cases with hard data to back it up. thanks again x1000 BB! however..
    BB. wrote: »
    Long term use--they will not last like an 1,800 RPM diesel...

what gives you that idea BB? unless the 1,800 RPM diesel is a HONDA..

Ive owned at least one Honda for all but 7 of my 42 years. The Legend is not myth. the smaller motos didnt and still dont have oil filters either but they do have debris screens and with regular scheduled maintenance any Honda -barring owners mistakes- will out live us all. Ive kept at least one from every decade Ive owned them and they all are still running fine ;-) I have a huge respect for Mr S. Honda. His achivements are astounding.. look them up.

back off topic again..
    dwh wrote: »
    The Smartguage is like the one in your link, and then they also have a much smarter computer controller that you can add to it as well. With the computer it can switch on and off depending on various circumstances. For instance, you can set it up so that it doesn't tie in the aux battery until the engine battery is topped off.

hey dwh check this out:

auxbatgra.gif

what do you make of that in regards to altenator charging multiple isolated batteries?

very simple (too simple?) just something else Ive ran accross. mabey I should I start a topic on this subject too?

another question: whats the right way to skin a cat? j/k

seriously though, I hope y'all continue on with the small generator disscussion. its doesnt have to be Honda dominated either Im at least partially open for any and all suggestions.

this really helps me and probably lots of lurkers too. both present and future.

thanks
  • BB.

Updated my cost to operate post/estimate... Forgot to add fuel cost with increased load on the 100% power one.

Glad to here that people are getting 3,000+ hours on these guys... Always nice to get a pleasant surprise.

-Bill