horizontal pipe mount ?

I'd like to mount a Kyocera 50w panel on a 2 1/4" horizontal aluminum tube. Do the Ironridge side of pole mounts allow the panel to sit flush with the tube rather than at the angle shown in the pictures? Or can I simply drill a few more holes to make it so?

kgw

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: horizontal pipe mount ?

I don't sail, so I can picture what you are asking...

Basically, a solar panel is a 1/8" of tempered glass with the solar cells and backing bonded to the rear of the glass. The Aluminum frame of the the solar panel is there for mounting--but structurally it is very weak against twisting and other differential forces (i.e., you can pretty easily pull the frame apart from the edge of the glass).

When you make a structure to hold the panel--the underlying structure must be ridgid and not flex/bend in any axis that can cause the glass to flex.

Also, if you are working with salt water (especially), stainless or other hardware that is compatible with the aluminum framework must be used.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Here's the pipe in question:
    400942674_7eba90e725_o.jpg

From your description of the solar frame, it sounds like I should use two pole mounts evenly spaced to insure the integrity of the panel!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Mounting the panel across two "ridgid" poles (in theory, each pole should be in 1/4 the panel width from each end to support maximum wind/snow loading). The poles cannot subject the panel aluminum frame to any bending or twisting stresses:
    [FONT=Fixedsys]   +---------+
       |         | 1/4 over hang
    ===|         |=== (pole)
       |         |
       |         | 1/2 panel height pole spacing
       |         |
    ===|         |=== (pole)
       |         | 1/4 over hang
       +---------+[/FONT]

Remember the panel is thin glass (1/8")... Anything more than a golf ball sized object falling from any distance can shatter the glass (tempered, so the entire panel will probably break). Broken/shattered glass panels cannot be repaired.

Also, any shadows (including those from lines/rigging/etc.) will dramatically reduce the panel's output (like 50%-100% reduction in power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The stern tube is 5/16" x 2 1/4" , I can sit on it without worry. It's there to provide for the ladder rigging, etc, the main beams take all the load. Thanks for the info, it will help in making sure I get a proper mount for the panel.