Solar Dingo?

Options
micahv
micahv Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
Anyone have any experience with the Solar Dingo? I'm trying to peace together a small off grid system to experiment with. I'm working around the kyocera 205W KD205GX. While looking for charge controllers, of course I came across the BZ product line but quickly learned from reading the forums to stay far away from that product. I was also looking at the Morningstar Sunsaver 15A which is comparably priced to the Dingo. I like the Dingo cause it seems to have more capability and flexibility, especially like that I can plug my laptop into it.

At some point I was hoping to go grid tied which is why I went with the KD205GX, didn't really want to spend to much on the off grid aspects but at the same time, didn't want junk that really wouldn't be useful off grid.

Thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Dingo?

now i'm at a disadvantage as i'm not familiar with the solar dingo, but you are right in staying away from bz stuff. i'm not quite sure if you intend gt with or without battery backup, but in the meantime you would find that the need for many more pvs would over run the capability of a small controller. see a straight gt system needs many pvs in series and if you are building towards a straight gt system and are just using it in a different configuration with batteries now on a temporary basis that 15a on a cc would not be enough until the time you get your gt inverter and rewire the pvs. now there are battery backed gt systems too, but the same thing applies here that a smaller cc would not handle the future increase in the pvs so i believe a larger quality mppt cc may be in order for you to strive for even if you have to save for it in this case. you can still go for a cheaper cc in the meantime if you want to press the pv into service asap, but this cc won't be needed in the long run as you'll want better equipment to handle those needs.