How Long Do You Run a Septic Tank Aerator?

Toner Duckpin
Toner Duckpin Registered Users Posts: 7
The County is requiring a septic tank aerator for our Summer cabin. The cabin I plan to build is about 800 square feet with one shower, toilet and two sinks. I think they size septic systems based on the square footage of the structure. I've looked at different aerator systems, some high wattage and some low wattage, all of which have timers that can be used on them. Is there any suggested run times on these aerators?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How Long Do You Run a Septic Tank Aerator?

i don't have a septic tank and never did, but i would imagine that would depend on how many people are using the facilities, how often, and how strong of an aerator you have. in general you can shut it down during times of inactivity and this could include when everybody is sleeping and not just when nobody is there. ask your county for general recommendations too.
    maybe some of the guys with septic tanks can add to this with their experience.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I've dealt with dozens of septic systems. Never yet heard of a home system requiring an aerator. Based on that, my recommendation is; install it and never mind. Once it passes inspection, it's over.

That said, there may be special circumstance in your area which would require it. This would include limited field space or sensitive habitat. The idea of the aerator is to add oxygen to the effluent and get the aerobic bacteria to work before it enters the field. There are variations on these types of system, including some where the whole process is contained in a shed and the effluent is pumped continuously over styrofoam blocks. These are usually put in on rocky or other conditions where soil percolation is bad.

If the county is making this requirement, they should also provide specs for usage.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

to add to Marc's comments, the idea of an aerator is to add tertiary and Quaternary treatment to your effluent.

The system. I have seen one that uses 2 tanks with 2 chambers each, aerator being in the second tank. big cities have been using the aerators for a long time. remember an article from ? ( Chicago I think) where the outfall water was so clean it could be drunk without any additional processing...

Also some systems have a pump that takes some treated and activated outfall and recycles it back to the first chamber to initiate bio action. Not sure about the ability to shutoff the pump/aerator as this would affect the biological activity. Will look through my papers for the web link...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

By your IP address it looks like you are in Arizona. If the sytem isnt built yet, you may want to see if Presby Environmental Septic Systems are approved yet in the state. They are quite popular in NH and surrounding states as the field size can be reduced to a third the size of a conventional system. They have a couple of tricks but the biggest one is using a PVC corrugated pipe wrapped with a mat of geotextile for the distribution pipes. Normally most of the organic processes occur at the holes on the discharge of the PCV laterals. By going to the mat, they increase the thickness of the resultant biological mat and also make it far more resistant to clogging.

With the lousy soils and shallow bedrock we have in NH, I expect if they work well here, they will work well anywhere. And no moving parts or blowers.
  • Toner Duckpin
    Toner Duckpin Registered Users Posts: 7

Yep, I'm from Arizona. The cabin site is South of Flagstaff. I've been wanting to visit the store up there but they are closed on weekends. Coconino County has inspected the test pits and determined that it needs an aerator based on the soils. The county no longer does "perc tests", they just look at the soil. It sounds like I need an engineer sign off on the septic design.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

found it , it is Bionest...

for the system info go here to watch a video clip:

http://www.bionest.ca/en/products/bionest?market=cb&type=customer

for different countries/provinces go here:

http://www.bionest.ca/en/products

I inquired about power usage and they quoted 240 Watts @ 110V, 2 pumps @ 100W and a panel @ 40 W.

Cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the inspectors in our area will buy off on using a much larger than required septic tank for our clay mountain soil. I add mountain as gravity will come into play up which can help and hurt the leachfield.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Doctor Poo
    Doctor Poo Registered Users Posts: 1
    The County is requiring a septic tank aerator for our Summer cabin. The cabin I plan to build is about 800 square feet with one shower, toilet and two sinks. I think they size septic systems based on the square footage of the structure. I've looked at different aerator systems, some high wattage and some low wattage, all of which have timers that can be used on them. Is there any suggested run times on these aerators?

" Doctor Poo," says..

With more than 40 years of waste treatment experience to back us up, here's the real scoop on those timers you won't find anywhere else.

A typical septic tank design for 3 bedroom or smaller residence is 750-1000 gallons. Actual aerator run time settings vary with each manufacturer and system design. However by default and by design, all individual residential treatment systems are "batch" type operations. Building activity produces periodic "batches" requiring the system to handle larger concentrated flows for short "peaks" or periods of time. During peaks flows the water is saturated with oxygen and plenty of mixing energy.

Additional mixing or aeration is NOT NEEDED during these times as it can lead to any accumulated solids in the tank being suspended and flushed out of the tank into the effluent filters or soil treatment areas. A highly undesirable result.

In between these "batch" periods supplemental aeration is advantageous to enhancing the systems overall treatment capabilities.

So, what this means for individual residential treatment systems is:

1. Pump your tank (have a septic hauler remove solids) once or twice a year.
    2. Aeration is seldom required during periods of high building activity (bathing, laundry, breakfast, dinner, etc.) when there is a potential for solids to be flushed from the tankage.
    3. Aeration is highly desirable during all low flow periods and required during long periods of building inactivity (vacations, away weekends, etc.)

OK, so why the big secret? Especially since aeration can reduce dangerous ground water nitrogen contaminants.

Well grid power is inherently non-sustainable, it will always be expensive, and it currently causes air and thermal pollution.

However, solar powered aerators can do the job without the same problems.