blue sea battery switch debugging

mshen11
mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
i have model 9000e where it has off, 1, 2, 1+2

my question is what is the point of 1+2? most likely youre going to have different aged battery if not different type on the two banks. in general, ive been told its not good to mix batteries (is that only for charging or is that for both charging and drawing power?)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: blue sea battery switch debugging

It's a switch. The manufacturer takes no responsibility for what you hook it up to.

Works just like it says: output is either disconnected, or connect to #1, #2, or both. Why? Because you can have two matched new batteries (banks) if you want. Originally this switch was meant for dual batteries in a boat (I think). You could have two partially depleted batteries after a day of fishing and not be able to get the engine started. Connect 'em both; enough power to restart the engine.

Used to see this sort of thing a lot in fire trucks and other emergency equipment too.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: blue sea battery switch debugging

it makes it easy to not have to shut down power between sources or loads on 1 and 2 if it is desired to not be switched off. it would go 1 to 1&2 to 2 instead of 1 to off to 2. i'm sure some have used this for paralleling like batteries too, but the need for the switch would be my question at that point.