MX60 Gets Musical ?

Hi,

I have customer who I installed a VFX3048E and MX60 system 18 months ago. Recently he upgraded from five 130w 12 pv panels to 10 x 130w pv panels in two strings of five at nominal 60volts from each string. As a result he is now seeing his MX entering absorb mode on sunny days and delighted with his system performance.
However he has rang me today to say that the MX when is absorb mode has started to beep at times varying the tones ie two or three different beeping tunes.

Can anyone enlighten why his MX has broken out into the music bussiness :cool:

Regards Nigel, PS I wont be able to see him for a week and I thought this will be easier than reading the manual:blush:

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MX60 Gets Musical ?

Nigel,

The "singing" is likely inductor hum when the array voltage drops to close to the battery voltage.

See if this old discussion from the OutBack forum helps: http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1676

Has it recently been particularly hot at your customer's location?

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Jim, thanks for making me look good, 45 minutes turnaround to answer my customers question, his system is remote from the house and doesnt need to disable the extended sweep function, hes happy that its just a quirk of the MXs normal operations.;)

This is a brilliant forum !

Nigel
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Nigel,

As always, glad to help. But, you'll someday get my bill. It usually involves water, barley, and hops.

;)

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    crewzer wrote: »
    Nigel,

The "singing" is likely inductor HUM when the array voltage drops to close to the battery voltage.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer

The MX60 HUMs because it does not know the words. :D

boB
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Unlike the new classic which can speak :roll: if thats still on the drawing board ?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Unlike the new classic which can speak :roll: if thats still on the drawing board ?

Yes now just what should it say?? I have some ideas but not sure all of them are good ones?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

maybe it could say, "i don't do requests".:D
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

"No, but hum a few bars and I'll fake it."
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

My two MX60s' do country. . .
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers