Outback Flex Power One

Options
nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
Hi, Last year I attended the Valencia PV show and made a bee line to visit the guys from Outback. They were very hospitable a couple of the guys were from the USA I cant remember there names but one had the same surname as the Outback CEO.

Whilst there I told them that most of my installs were single inverter setups using the Flexware 250 AC/DC disconnect boxes . I told them that I made the power boards at home pre wired so that when I got to site I would just zip the full board on to batterns and hook up the PV and conect the batteries. The American lads seemed quite impressed

I had some pictures to show them on my sat nav and they asked lots of questions and liked the concept of ready to go quick site install with most the work being done in my workshop. Attached are a few pictures of my original Flex Power Prototype

Today in Homepower Magazine I see the launch of Flex Power One , theres no pictures on the OB Site yet but I would say the Flex Max One bears a remarkable likeness. and principal to my Flexmax Prototype So if you have Home Power Mag what do you think ?

Picture One shows my pre assembled and wired uppower board in the back of my car . Above the MX60 is a PV combiner to the left are euro spec AC fuse board Generator Hook Up and a Emergency Maintained Light if the system fails in the middle of the night it comes on automatically. Plus can also be switched on off as required as a normal light.

Picture Two shows the board installed and working sorry about the curly stickers.
No mate was fitted on this Flex Power prototype as it was remotely located in the house.

Picture three on another board with the mate fitted.

Its nice to see manufacturers looking at how installesr use there products and continually develope good ideas . There Flex Power one includes a hub4 which seems a bit over kill when two BTS would suffice on a single inverter/cc setup IMHO :blush:

Comments

• blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Outback Flex Power One

I have mentioned along the same lines over on the outback forum, They seem to make a larger pre assembled unit in the states ( Smartre) but no chance of it over here in Europe, I would say there is defiantly a call for pre wired but more a call for preprogrammed,
    I am doing an install at the moment http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3539 which due to the nature of the site, I have pre built 90% of that, Then as you did, take it to site, AC side took 40 mins to install :D, It would be nice if I could have bought it like that:confused:

Have a good one
    Tim
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gents,

Stand by for more info soon... ;)

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Jim do I get a royalty cheque:p
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should Tim, you're a prince! :p

Ralph

OOppss! You should too Nigel! Don't know who Tim is. (edit)
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Tim ? hes nice but dim Hugos great grandad :p
  • blackswan555
    Options

yep , I must own up to being a bit dim, I only moved to Ibiza because I though it would be less sex, drugs and rock and roll than I was used to:D;):p
    Have a good one
    Tim
  • crewzer
    Options
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Jim do I get a royalty cheque:p

Nigel,

I liked the pictures of your installations. It may just be that several independent projects were in the works at about the same time. For example, the attached photo is one of a pre-wired prototype system developed at OutBack and publicly demonstated at last year's Solar Power convention in San Diego, California.

I hope all is well!

Regards,

Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Oh well there you go:cry:
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

What am i missing? isn't it all the same stuff screwed to a piece of metal? I assume outback is doing the wiring? Maybe i am missing something here what is the list cost on this unit?

I am glad outback is trying to think of something new and innovative but it sure looks like we are still stuck wiring inside that little box? My money is still on the Epanel for ease of wiring etc.
  • crewzer
    Options

Ryan,

It was a concept for a pre-wired system. We've taken it and other concept systems to various shows to solicit customer interest and comments.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • blackswan555
    Options

Any plans to update the mate ? preferably to PC programmable ? remotely ? Then offer a factory service ? 8)

Have a good one
    Tim

ps a few more pic`s http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3539