Supply the basic information

Options
Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
I can't help but notice from reading all the informative threads on this forum that there are some very significant differences in regards to solar applications depending on where in the world you are. Aside from the obvious albeit often over-looked aspect of how much sun you get (I have 16 hr. days in summer, 6 hr. days in winter, at the equator it's only about 1 hr. difference between) there are other factors, particularly financial ones, which are often forgotten.
For instance, one of the recurring questions is; "Does it makes sense to invest in (a particular piece of technology)?" Up here our BC Hydro-Electric rates are as low as $0.05 per kW/hr while in other regions I've read it's as high as $0.75 per. That's a big difference when you're talking about investing in grid-tie solar. Likewise many levels of government in various areas have economic incentives for solar, others don't. Unreliable power in some places may be a strong incentive.
Also, I keep hearing about PV's for "less than $2/kW" or such. Where I am we'd be lucky to get them for $5/kW (although they've finally removed the PST from this equipment - sort of). Importing from the states is another problem, as many suppliers use UPS which rips off us Canadians at the border with unbelievable brokerage fees. No, really; one of my clients ordered a $3 part from the States and by the time 'Brown' was done with it the tag was closer to $100.

I admit I don't know quite where I'm going with this, and the Moderators would be well-justified in deleting it from that point alone. It's just that I think it's important for people to say where in the world they are located, and what the costs are like there. Some sort of standardized listing may be possible:

Average Day: Y hrs. Elec Rate: $ X per kW/hr. PV's: $ X per W. Incentives: Y/N
(In addition to the other basic information such as kW/hrs expected usage, et cetera.)

This sort of info makes a significant difference when choosing or advising on a system configuration and too often gets left out. "Newbies" would benefit the most from supplying this data, but are alas the least likely to do so. And how many of them go out and buy or 'get sold' some set-up then come here and ask: "Why doesn't it work?"

But then again, I'm an old Coot so what do I know? :p

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Supply the basic information

Marc,

I understand your border shipping problem.

One suggestion that we use all the time is use a drop service in the states. Ours here charges $3 per package $5 for a pallet, and they will hold them for 3 months. Someone goes across the border every month or so,, so we pool it and pick up for each other. The declare the stuff at the border, pay GST/PST and away we go. Way cheaper than having stuff shipped from the states. I know that in Bellingham, and Blaine WA there are services that will do the same for you in BC. You must get to the lower mainland now and again,, or know folks who drop over the border now and again who can pick stuff up for you,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Tony;

Yes this can be done, but it's such a hassle it's only worth the effort for big items. Usually we try to get them to ship via post, which works fine if they'll do it. Some items the mail man won't/can't carry. BTW, I've crossed the border in Ontario as well as BC, and it's a lot easier there. We have half-day waits at the crossing and a lot of officious guards due to the volume of illegal drug traffic here. It's bad.

Marc
  • CaribSoul
    CaribSoul Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

Does anyone know what sort of duties or tariffs would be assessed on a US citizen taking the stuff for a solar installation into Canada? I could probably find a drop service in International Falls, MN and then take it into Ontario at Fort Frances. I doubt that it would be the GST/PST, as US citizens can reclaim the GST when they leave. So there must be a different system for articles you are leaving in Canada.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • icarus
    Options

I know folks who do it all the time,, both in Ft. Frances and Pigeon River. In fact I do it all the time. I just have to pay both halves.

If you declare the goods,, (have receipts) tell them that they are for your cottage/camp whatever. You will have to pay GST,, but if you provide a US address you won't have to pay PST. (I may have that backwards,, but the net effect is essentially the same!) If you provide a Ontario address you will have to pay both taxes. I have never paid (nor do I know anyone who had) any "duty" on solar stuff,, just PST/GST. If you provide a Native Status Card and a reserve address you only pay PST as well.

I have found that Canadian Customs to be very easy and friendly IF you don't try to BS them. Tell them what you got,, where and why you are going etc,, they will have you come in and in a few minutes you are on your way. If you BS them,, and they figure it out,, you will buy nothing but trouble.

You (American's) cannot file for a refund for the GST since the goods are staying in Canada.

IM me if you have any other specific questions,,, as I sort of know customs folks on both sides of the border.

Tony

PS There is a drop service in International Falls,,several in fact.. You could do a google search,, or I could help finding you one. I think there is a MailBoxes etc/UPs store in Intl. Falls.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have to agree with you Marc,

For me, the signature line does almost all of it, and you need type the info ONLY ONCE, all of the info on location and hardware can go there. If there is a question about rebates and incentives, then this can go into the body of the post.

New members could get much better info/advice in a much shorter time if the the first post included at least the most basic info on location and hardware that they are using. It it is a prospective system, then at least the location, Off-Grid, Grid-Tied etc ... BUT we all do the best we can.

Just MHO cheers, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

And we have another example of my point!

Here in BC there is NO PST on solar panels or "related items". Which means if you buy the stuff all at once with the panels, no PST. Forget something and have to get it later = pay PST. Nice, huh?

Plus, our border guards are a bit odd when it comes to duty. Technically there is no duty on anything made in USA, but that doesn't mean bought in USA. They don't always remember this in one direction or the other. It's a bit of a crap shoot bringing things in at Blaine or Sumas.

I wonder if the basic info could be auto-added at sign-up? I don't know; just thinking out loud.
  • icarus
    Options

That's a good point,, NAFTA states that goods MADE in N.America crosses the border duty free. Country of origin should be stated on the product. Some goods bought in the States that are made in other countries may indeed require a duty. I have never had a Border Inspector ask about country of origin on anything I have imported,, and I have never thought about telling them. On the other hand ALMOST every thing I have brought in has been made in N. America. Now alot of stuff from China and other countries may be subject to duties.

Remember, your mileage may vary,, consult Border services for the real deal.

Tony