Decoding Renogy 60A controller instructions HELP?

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭
edited April 29 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I've been trying to decipher the on/off load times of my Renogy controller without success.

My previous controllers had a dusk to dawn (or something analogous) where I could set a default or when the solar panels became exposed to the sun and started generating an output. 

Toying with the "Load Parameter" settings was useless as the load came on when I didn't want them.

Does anyone know how to setup the load for something approximating dusk to dawn? I "assume" that the load will be shut off (LVD) in the event the battery falls below some dangerously low level for the battery? I "assume" because the settings do not show this as an available setting.

Comments

• garynappi
    Options
    As a retired IBM PC development Engineering technical writer I can say with certainty the "APP" for the BT-1 (and likely for the BT-2) is maddeningly poorly worded.

All makers of consumer devices for a particular targeted sales region REALLY need to have a regional native speaking person write or at the very least evaluate and suggest a translation of the verbiage for the app AND support documentation. Alpha and Beta test subjects is a good idea. 

Some examples...

Record --- Last day "Should be "PREVIOUS day" Last day "implies" either "Today" or the last day recording was successful.

Battery type = SLD? 

In the load section, the Load slide switch: "Status: Close" appears as if the load is on when in actuality it's off

This reads better as Load: Off or Load: On
    Optionally Load Status: Off or Load Status: On.

TEMP indicator: Is in the battery section which leads the user to believe it's the battery temp NOT the temperature of the sensor for the CC environment.

The entire "Load Parameter" is a do over. 

I read that they are no longer updating this app which is an error in judgment as they are still selling the BT-1.

Technical manual updates being frozen while a product is still in the retail pipeline is just plain poor management direction. 

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The load timers are usually triggered by darkness. I would try 12 hr. setting.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• garynappi
    Options
    Thx, I did but the load comes on when there is still lots of daylight and they stay on well after there is light. I will give Renogy another call and hopefully they will return it.