Check my math

Options
97TJ
97TJ Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭
Hello,  It's been some time since I've asked a question here.  One of my 200 watt panels gave up the ghost and seeing that they are over 10 years old I thought I would replace them all and use the good ones on another project.  I upgraded to a MPPT 150 volt 60 amp charge controller last year when I had to replace my old lead acid crowns with 3 100ah lifepo4 batteries.  This last winter was brutal due to the lack of sunshine in my area.  Instead of (4) 12 volt 200 watt panels in parallel for 800 watts, I want to series/parallel (6) 12 volt 200 watt panels for 1200 watts total. The panel I am looking at is rated at 22.5 volts VOC and 12.21A ISC each.   So if I series two panels together then parallel the three sets of two in my combiner box will I have an array of 45 volts at 36.63 amps?  I live in a cold snowy climate.  While I'm not sure what it is, I know that there is an adjustment concerning the voltage for those cold sunny winter days but if my figures are correct I should be with the safety parameters.  Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old model number and make?  From my experience, you really need more solar. It does depend on your requirements but to me 1500 watts is entry level for a climate you describe  Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    As always, refer to the manual for safety limits (voltage, current, etc.)...

Just a quick set of math for sizing the array... Nominally, for an off grid system suggest 10-13% rate of charge, and upwards of 20% for areas with "dark" winters (I.e., not much sun, so over paneling does not "waste" much energy with an XX Amp controller)(Note: 300 AH @ 12 volt battery bank assumed):
    • 300 AH battery bank * 14.5 volts nominal charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 565 Watt array minimum suggested off grid array
    • 300 AH battery bank * 14.5 volts nominal charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 734 Watt array (more or less optimum for Lead Acid Battery banks)
    • 300 AH battery bank * 14.5 volts nominal charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.20 rate of charge = 1,130 Watt array suggested maximum for 300AH @ 12 volt battery bank
    Note that 1,200 Watts is "close enough" for 1,130 Watt array "solar math".

For a 60 amp MPPT controller... The maximum "most efficient" solar array for a 12 volt battery bank would be:
    • 60 Amps * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 14.5 Volts charging = 1,130 Watt array "typical" cost effective maximum array for 60 amp MPPT controller on a 12 volt battery bank
    Again, solar math is "fuzzy math"... More or less, a 1,130 Watt array may "safely and reliably" clip the charging current to 60 Amps a few hours a year on a cool/clear day near solar noon... A larger array will simple "clip" more hours (waste energy) more often... But perfectly OK to "over panel" a system in a "dark winter" location. During summer, you will have "lots of harvested" energy.

Just for a quick summary of some other quick rules of thumbs... Normally would suggest that a battery bank is sized to deliver 1/4 of its storage capacity per day (i.e., 2 days of "no sun" stored energy, to 50% planned state of charge--And on rare occasions to 20% state of charge).

So, for a 300 AH @ 12 volt battery bank:
    • 300 AH * 0.25 discharge = 75 AH per day (or over night) discharge
    • 75 AH * 12 volts * 0.85 AC inverter eff = 765 Watt*Hours per day/night discharge
    And to calculate the hours of sun per day by month (assuming no trees/mountains blocking sun part of the year). Guessing Munising Mi, 47 degree from horizontal fixed array facing south (using 1,000 Watt array as starting point for software):
    https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

Worst case December with 1.85 hours of sun (not much) and a 1,200 Watt array (a little more clipping on cool/clear days):
    • 1,200 Watt array * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1.85 hours of average Dec Sun = 1,709 WH per average December day (or a little less in December and "over paneled")
    For the array--With an MPPT controller, this "class" of solar controller will typically have a maximum solar array input voltage of 100-150 Voc-cold (check manual, ask more questions if needed).

Need to have the exact specifications for your 200 Watt panels... Voc/Vmp/Isc/Imp... You would typically put 2 or 3 panels in series (check Voc-cold for your panels) and parallel the strings (2s*3p or 3p*2s)... 2s*3p would work with almost any solar panels and charge controller.

If you have three or more parallel strings, you are supposed to used a "Combiner Box" with fuses or circuit breakers (help reduce the chance of fire if one panel/wire run becomes shorted)... If you can go with 2s*3p, you can save the price of a combiner box.

Lots of details to work out--In general, size the battery bank to your loads, and size the solar array to your battery/loads/hours of sun. And in the "far north", a Genset, possibly a wind turbine (lots of issues), etc. are usually needed for those dark/stormy days...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 97TJ
    97TJ Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your help.  My kilowatt meter shows that over the last 79 days my average usage has been 682 watts per 24hr. Day/night.  By time I add what it takes to run the inverter I'm just under 1050 per 24hr day/night .  I do have a generator to top off the batteries as needed.  So, I will go with 6 200 watt panels in 2S3P into the combiner box I already have.  Thanks again.