Renogy BT-1

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
I'm upgrading my small system and while I'm at it I bought a Renogy BT-1 companion blue tooth communication interface so I did not have to go outside to check what's going on. 

When I opened the BT-1 box I found that the serial connection cable was fifteen feet long :-) I'm sure they have reasons for the extremely long cable? Maybe to get the BT closer to the home for loss of signal issues? Or perhaps inside cabinet interference a short cable would give? I do not think the latter because I Emailed their support folks and they just said to stow the excess cable in the cabinet :-)

I think I'd rather have seen an optional Female/Female cable adapter with a 15' cable than have all that excess cable in the cabinet, but I wasn't invited to the design team meeting.  

Anyway I wanted to keep the BT-1 inside the cabinet with the CC and the idea of stowing 15' of excess cable was not one I preferred.

Since I already had a multi cat5/RJ12/telco crimp tool I got a pack of 10 RJ12 connectors, cut back the BT-1 wire to a manageable ~15" (a bit longer than needed to allow for crimping issues) and on the second crimp try it's working and it took all of five minutes to correct.

Luckily the RJ-12 connector they used is clear so I could see the wire orientation in the stock connector.

PS, while at it I shortened the thermocouple wire to ~15", made a bracket for it and mounted it inside the cabinet to watch the inside temperature. I'll have internal forced air cooling powered by the solar cells during the day. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    You probably do not want to install the B-T tranceiver in a metal box... It is already a very low power signal and installing inside a metal box will probably cause loss of signal and/or directionality issues (the door and other gaps can create "slot antennas" and become a directional antenna).

B-T is also pretty short range--Around 30' or 10 meters out to 100 meters/300 feet (depending on hardware)--So installing the transceiver closer to the location(s) you plan on making remote access could make good use of the long interconnect cable.

https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/what-is-the-range-of-bluetooth-and-how-can-it-be-extended.html

The range of Bluetooth depends on its class and there are three main classes of Bluetooth:

1. Class 1 : transmits at 100 mW with a range of 100 meters.
    2. Class 2 : Most Bluetooth headsets and headphones transmit at 2.5 mW with a range of 10 meters.
    3. Class 3 : transmits with 1 mW at a range of less than 10 meters.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • garynappi
    garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited March 17 #3
    Options
    Thanks Bill, I guess I should have said that it's a large BUD enclosure (Plastic outdoor poly PBT blend) I only need around 10' but I've tested it to 40' and it works perfectly.