Needed - Advice on a good mid size 3000-4000 W Propane Generator with Remote Start Interface

Options
Graham Parkinson
Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
One of our off grid neighbors has had many ongoing frustrations with a "Motor Snorkel" (US Carburation) propane conversion on his Honda EU3000.  Even though it is equipped with a supplementary start mixture enrichment solenoid, it won't start reliably when T < 10 C (that's 50 F).  Quite a few mechanics have tried to get the generator starting reliably but so far no luck.

So they are looking for a new quiet (inverter) propane genset that would work with their Magnum Auto Gen Start (AGS) module to be able to charge their batteries in the event of several days without sunshine.   Champion has stated that non of their portable generators will work with the Magnum Auto Start modules (which seem to be able to start most two or three wire units).

Lots of small inverter propane generators are available in this size range and some have "remote start" which is actually a wireless dongle but with no way to connect to an AGS.

True Remote Start via an AGS seems to be a significant market segment that is not yet well served.

Anyone know of any mid sized inverter gensets that are propane native and have AGS support?

Thanks for a friend

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

Comments

• twistedtree
    twistedtree Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have an older ONAN RV generator, 1800 RPM so very quiet, 4kw, and set up for propane.  I ran it for years on autostart and it never failed to start in the dead of winter in Vermont.  Contact me via private message if interested
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 #3
    Options
    These Firman factory refurb generators sure seem to be new returned generators. Amazing price and free shipping with a 2 year warranty. I own three and love them.
    FIRMAN WH03242F 4000W Electric Start Dual Fuel Inverter Generator - Refurbished | eBay

EDIT; I missed the AGS part, sorry/ Still a great deal. AGS isn't something that shouldn't be relied upon when away from your system though.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.