12volt to 230 volt 60hz inverter to run a 1hp home well pump.

Options
TellGRBill
TellGRBill Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
I'm looking for a reasonably priced 12volt to 230 volt 60hz inverter to run a 1hp home well pump.

Comments

• SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    I am not aware of anyone making an inverter for 12Vdc input and 230 volt output, that is "reasonably priced". Victron Quattro is $3,000 dollars or so, but you do get what you pay for. A 24Vdc Schnieder SW is around $1,500.
    The amp draw from a 12 volt battery to run a 1HP motor would be in the 80 to 85 Amp Range. For me once you get to that amp draw it's time to look at 24 Vdc equipment.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Simple question... "Ugly / It Depends" type answers (seems to be my specialty...  B)

"Standard/Typical" well pumps are not very solar/inverter friendly... Even a 1 HP (756 Watts) can take several times that power/VA starting for a few seconds... Somebody else here can recommend--But you are probably looking at a 2,400 to 3,000 Watt minimum rated inverter... Which is a pretty large unit for a 12 volt system... I typically suggest an 1,800 Watt to 2,400 Watt maximum inverter for 12 volts:
    2,400 Watts * 1/0.85 eff * 1/12 volts = 235 amp at full output and nominal battery voltage.

Ideally, it would be better to look at the entire pumping requirements. For example you could get a new "solar friendly" well pump... For example a 1 HP well pump may cost $2,000 to $3,000+ per pump. But they take only ~900 Watts maximum (starting, running, etc.--No Surge). This allows you to (probably) use your existing inverter (1,000+ Watt). So the $$$ is going into the well pump, plus any costs for pump electrical hardware, cost to pull the pump, etc.).

The next option is there are some "solar friendly" well pumps. Some of these can actually use either AC (120/240 VAC) or 48 to 300+ VDC directly (no inverter)--The DC could be battery or even a dedicated solar array...

Another possibility is to use a VFD (variable frequency drive) for well pumps. These are (more or less) AC inverters with variable voltage/frequency output. The VFD is programmed to soft start the pump (starting at lower AC frequency/output voltage) then ramp up to "full power" (or programmed full power). You can program the VFD for variable output parameters (soft start, max power, or even options like constant pressure, etc.). A "more complex" solution--Part of which it depends on what existing well pump do you have to allow the VFD to properly interface with your pump... A quick article:

https://oakvillepump.com/blog/2020/6/3/should-i-put-a-variable-frequency-or-constant-pressure-pump-system-in

Note that "most" solar friendly well pumps have a built-in VFD (plus other "upgrades" like a permanent magnet motor--more efficient, no brushes like a simple "universal" AC/DC motor).

Other options include "slow pumping" well pump (smaller motor, lower GPM) to a cistern... Then use a local pressure pump (less than $200 for a "simple pump" for house water pressure (second pump is also low power, and multiple options for 12/24 VDC or 120 VAC.

Other options include a large water tank, and use a "cheap" gasoline pump every couple days/once a week to top off the tank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    I like the slow pump/cistern/tank method if you don't have big demands and live above freezing. I see from some of your pics you live in a hilly area. An above ground tank or cistern placed upland might get you somewhat acceptable pressures where no or very little secondary pumping may be required.

• TellGRBill
    TellGRBill Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed advice !
    I have been carefully considering all those issues and, because the use of the well pump can be controlled, and would be run in very short time pumping when used, if the power lines are shut down,  I'm thinking that a 4000watt 60hz 12v to 220v inverter would be a practical solution for us. I have found one (never used) from a private party for $100 that I am trying to buy.