Is the Classic CC too long in the tooth?

Options
2»

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see that the Chargeverter onlly weights 16 pounds.  So, sounds like a 2 X  120VAC inverter/charger and HF at that.
    THAT could possibly clean up a seriously dirty 120 VAC L1 line and clean it up at the L2 output line side.

A large 60 Hz steel laminated or tape wound core transformer like in the XW and SMA SI and Magnum RE inverter will most likely have quite a bit more surge power than the Chargeverter.  Geeeez.  You could use an otherwise dead XW or other charger/inverter for just the output transformer used as an auto-former.  I know that the SMA SI and Magnum inverters work this way at least and I assume the XW Pro+ is the same way.  It's the easiest way.

You also get a 48V AC output !  Old dead inverter/chargers with 120/240 VAC outputs can be pretty handy then, if not used just as a door stop.  The door stop circuitry always seems to work !  Just don't stub your tow !

boB

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BMS in neighbour's new custom made LiFePO4 battery pack just failed after only a week or so of off grid operation.  It took down his Midnite Classic controller as well.  I think it was an Overkill BMS.  So it is possible to kill a Classic, if you have an Overkill  - Sorry!

Installer said that it was second of these BMS that he's had fail recently. Wonder if it was a FET in the BMS that failed closed and shorted out the controller output?   More info expected as details surface .... 

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did he have surge protection? Was the DC buss properly over current protected? Did he over current charge or discharge? The BMS should have a contactor that OCP the buss as well as the classic DC buss being protected (properly) 

The above are all pretty common with all of the DIY batteries out there. For offgrid this all needs to be done right if you want reliable power.
     The BMS is just a another way to lose power offgrid that was not there with older battery tech. 

I would not pick out the Classic for this until a proper failure analysis is done.

Custom made.......
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited August 2023 #35
    Options
    I have one Overkill BMS in operation for the last two years in our RV. Custom built 280ah built with Eve cells. It resides in our fridge battery compartment in a cooler with small tank heaters keeping it warm. I went for the largest version of it @ 120A IIRC to be sure it never gets taxed.

For the rest of the trailer I have three Tesla Model S batteries in parallel mated to two Victron Multipluses. Heated via plumbing from water heater for those cold nights. Try sleeping with THAT under your bed!!...heh heh heh

The Tesla batteries' BMS doesn't scare me at all as the current never passes through it. I got it from Thunderstruck Motors and it is made by Dilithium Designs. It scales well with multiple packs like the Tesla Model S and simply measures temperatures and cell voltages. Shuts down charge or discharge if any errors. I had Batrium in there before and it was a complete nightmare. This was before the centralized model of it came out and those longmons were an utter disaster......I burned the whole thing in the campfire. Tiny little finnacky wires always breaking....A Rastafarian Mess!!!

I don't fear the BMS but that battery chemistry is a skeleton in the closet for sure....plus I never protected between the Tesla modules either and that problem could possibly happen but it is unlikely...riiiiight? Please say I'm right..lol

So I suppose I could kill a Classic if my Tesla modules ignited and burned down the RV including the Classic. I stand corrected....BUT that Midnite warranty though, would it cover it? (kidding of course) Don't worry boB there is no Classic in there, yet.