SEA FOREST 570W N-type Bifacial Monocrystalline Solar Power Panel

Options
Kat_1234
Kat_1234 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone, has anyone tried SEA FOREST solar panels before? they seem to have great specification but I want to check how accurate thier ratings are 
this is the solar panel in question 
Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I don't know anything about the brand (I am not in the solar business)... My first suggestion is to look at the specifications (Voc, Vmp, Ioc, Imp, wind loading, any special issues like hail resistance--if an issue for you) and make sure that the panel(s) will meet your needs, and the specifications of the solar charge controller(s) and such.

Higher Vmp/Voc panels can be a bit of a pain to match to specific solar charge controllers. The typical MPPT (Maximum power point tracking) solar charge controllers for 12/24/48 VDC battery systems have relatively low maximum input voltage (around 100-150 VDC typical) for the lower cost solar charge controllers. Higher voltage panels/arrays can be a poor match for some configurations (typically 48 VDC battery banks and higher voltage).

There are higher input voltage solar charge controllers (upwards of 400-600 VDC max input voltage), but these controllers are generally more expensive than the lower voltage controllers.

If you are going with pure Grid Tied Power systems (GT inverters, no battery bank), typically have high voltage solar array input support, and the higher voltage solar panels do not cause any specific issues (wider array voltage acceptance).

Before buying the hardware, do your paper designs and make sure your design will work for your location (ambient temperatures, etc.) and your hardware (solar charge controller/battery bank/etc.). Buying first then designing the system can cause pain.

Another issue with solar panels--They are changing (voltage, wattage, size, etc.) and getting spares later (failed panel, wind/rock/hail damage, etc.) can be an issue. If you have non-typical solar panel configuration/specifications--Getting replacements 5+ years down the road can be difficult (how to "match" a couple panels into an existing array). This is not just an issue with this brand--It is an issue will all mfg. Solar panels are constantly changing (larger panels, higher voltages, etc.) and getting spares down the road that mix/match with an existing array can be difficult.

The up side is that panels cost something like $0.50 to $1.00 USD per Watt--Not like $10+ per Watt like decades past. So replacing an entire string/array if there is some panel panel damage, the costs are not horrible.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do not know the brand and I am in the offgrid solar business.  I do know that a huge mistake for someone installing their own solar panels is the weight and size of the panels. Large panels over 350 watts or so can take 2 people to install.

Offgrid is often about being able to DIY,  as getting a business out to remote homes is often impossible.

Everything Bill said above is great advice. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net