Kohler 20RES won’t start

Options
rlmnky
rlmnky Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
I have a 20RES that I installed in 2016. It’s been 100% reliable in every respect until this past Saturday when it failed to start for its weekly test. It’s set up for LP gas. I’ve been into it up to my ears since. I checked everything in the fuel system. It’s getting gas. I don’t have an ignition tester but using a good plug held against the exhaust bolt the spark seems weak. I pulled the connector with the ignition ground and LOP wires apart and it made no difference. Could one coil have been weak and the other has failed?  It cranks fine and will sometimes hit for a few revs. Oddly for a short time yesterday it did start but ran very rough and the stepper motor was working hard to stabilize the rpm. After that it has never started. 

At this point I’m thinking it likely the coils but I can’t determine how to get to them. Do I have to lift the whole generator/engine assembly off the mounts in order to get the plastic cover off the blower ?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Have you tried new spark plug(s)? Make sure the plug is gapped to factory specs. I have a friend with a propane powered forklift that sometimes gives him problems... Plugs and a new coil would be 1 and 2 on the suggested list. Points/Electronic ignition issues?

Propane vaporizers have been an issue too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset