Kohler 14RESA Generator. Emergency Stop Shutdown Error that will not clear

HiAltitude
HiAltitude Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
Kohler 14RESA Generator. Emergency Stop Shutdown Error that will not clear 

I'm posting this here on the recommendation of Dave Angelini.  I wrote a longer description of the problem which in the "in the weeds" category.

I also read PVoffGrid's 2018 discussion of his issues with the 14RESA.  

I have a 2019 Kohler 14RESA Generator @ 254 hours that is giving a Emergency Stop Shutdown Error that will not clear.  (you reply Y to clear the error but it returns to it, not allowing you to hit RUN). The generator stopped running with this indication several times but it was possible to clear the error. 

This generator DOES NOT have an emergency stop button installed and according to the Kohler Service Manual, this is the only way that this error would occur.  I checked the wiring where you would insert the Emergency Stop kit and it is functioning correctly.  All the menus function normally, you can review the settings. 

Is it possible that the controller/software has failed and this is the way that it is indicated?  

Has anyone else had this occur and been able to get past the error or had a Kohler technician service it and get it running?  What was the result?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Riley
    Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    I have a 12RES so likely not much help but:
    1) I assume this all worked previously and has now cropped up?
    2) You have nothing connected to the emergency control input?
    3) My guess would be the controller board has an issue. Any chance you can reach out to your supplier and get a replacement?
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset
  • HiAltitude
    HiAltitude Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hi Riley, thanks for responding.

1) Yes.  No problems until just recently.  Checking the generator, I saw that it showed the "Emergency Stop" several times (even when not running).  But I was able to restart each time, and it would run for a period of time then stop.  Then slow degradation where I would see Low Crank Volt (engine did not crank) error, intermittent with Emergency Stop. Then the starter solenoid would click 5 times, but the engine would not start (And I could clear the error) .  Now we are down to Emergency Stop that will not clear.

I'm able to attach a full battery to the system now, but it is possible that the battery that I had on the system when the start attempts were occurring may have not have been strong enough to crank, but that doesn't seem to explain the random stops or the inability to clear the Emergency Stop error.

2) No.  There is nothing connected at QCON1 (where the Emergency Stop Button would be inserted). Ground  ESN (w3) connected to the floating input (P1-17). When connected it should not indicate the failure (per the service manual)

3) My guess also.  I wish the controller board was $400 rather than $1400, which is what I'm able to find it for on the 'net.  (Kohler GM92089 RDC2 Controller)

Thanks again.   I will get this working and will post the solution.  
  • Mike2023
    Mike2023 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    I have a 20 RESA generator that is stuck in the Emergency Stop.  I pushed the stop button to change the oil and disconnected the battery.

Are you guys saying that my controller board just took a dump by pushing the stop button? I only have about 42 hours on it.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a long cable run from the Gen to the house and leave that connected all the time, it could be damaged.
    I do not think what you described could cause this.

High altitude often means a much higher susceptibility to lightning damage. Pretty low hours for that but surges can cause
    latent damage in electronics. Latent damage can show up at any time once it is done. It depends on how bad the surge has damaged the 
    controller.

Surge protection at the generator output can help. The best protection is to disconnect the output and house the generator in a grounded structure.

That PCB does fail alot and some of my clients stock a spare. They are less expensive outside of winter. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Mike2023
    Mike2023 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Oh my am I not very observant.  There is a big red rocker switch on the same side as the oil filter. That is the "Emergency Stop Switch" yes it was in the "off position".

I talked to a Kohler repair guy in Redding, CA. He suggested checking the Emergency Stop Switch before coming to my house. He said he accidentally hit the Emergency stop switch before also.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Thank you for posting the fix!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Riley
    Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Mike2023 said:
    Oh my am I not very observant.  There is a big red rocker switch on the same side as the oil filter. That is the "Emergency Stop Switch" yes it was in the "off position".

I talked to a Kohler repair guy in Redding, CA. He suggested checking the Emergency Stop Switch before coming to my house. He said he accidentally hit the Emergency stop switch before also.
    I know of that guy in Redding. He's the one that suggested I buy my Kohler 12RES. Good guy... 
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset