Kohler 14RESA Generator Failure

HiAltitude
HiAltitude Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
2019 Kohler 14RESA Generator @ 254 hours.  Failed.

Symptoms.  Several weeks ago, it was having trouble starting properly with the fuel system hunting then stopping.  I switched Tanks on the Propane system and those symptoms went away.  

Recently it would be running, then stop, saying emergency stop or one of the indicating that the engine was not turning.  Not a low oil failure or over voltage.  The system has clean full oil and I have changed it to be sure that it's not a low oil pressure sensor. 

When it had these failures, we went through a period of:  starts and runs, then we get the "emergency stop" error and it would attempt to start, to recently 3-5 clicks to what I think is the starter, but no start.   I could unhook the battery, (is on house power) and I could hear the clicks, and the display would show that the engine did not start. 

I checked the battery, and brought a new car battery over to make sure it would have power to start.  It doesn't make the clicks now.  I did notice that the battery voltage shown by the display on the generator seems to go down faster than I would expect, but it should have turned over the engine if it wanted to. 

I went in a checked the ground wires and snugged all the wire connections. 

Now I am down to an "Emergency Stop" message that I had been able to clear, but will now not go away.  I installed the generator system.  There is no emergency stop feature installed, and I don't see the wires that are shown in the manual that must be hooked together when that button is not installed.  The emergency stop failure in the manual is not attached to any other failure (not because of high voltage, or low oil pressure)  other than an emergency stop. 

I need to check the two relays that are in the box to see if these may be an issue.

My other thoughts at this time is that the starter clicks were maybe the starter not having enough power to engage (like in a car when the battery is weak).  it may be possible to run 12V directly to the starter and it should at least turn over.

Also since the "emergency stop" error won't clear, perhaps the controller is trying to say it is bad?  

I know that there's at least one other person in southern Oregon that had the 14RESA on the forum.  I'm wondering they had a similar problem (or solution)?   

thanks for any help or suggestions to try.

thanks, GP.

Comments