500W Chinese wind turbine Works OK

WebPower
WebPower Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
Here is where I bought the 500W wind turbine that I'm using for the Enphase grid tie power interface

Search in google "Green E Solutions Store".  AliExpress is where their store is..

The 3 blade was the original test of 48v 500W turbine.

Currently running with the 48V 500W 5 blade. But...I put the 3 blade turbines blades on it and it helped the low wind performance.

I will provide characterization information. I also have internal component pictures and information as I had a power transfer failure with it. Company is really good and responsive. It's best to use the App when communicating. More responsive and pictures can be uploaded easily. I use IOS version.

My brother has a couple of these and also a 1000W one from them. He's happy with the production on all of them. He has a 3 and 5 blade 500W thats where he got the idea to possibly put the longer 3 bladed blades on the 5 blade hub. I bought 3 bladed blades from the company and they fit fine on the 5 blade hub. Couple of inches longer and about a half inch wider at base. Seemed to improve the low wind "on" point of the turbine.

Shipping is pretty quick. Only takes a couple of weeks with standard shipping for the turbine and you can track it on the app. More accurate tracking once it gets to the states. Parts shipping comes UPS so that was just over a week to get the blades and brush pack that I needed. Also the power transfer replacement they sent that way.

More to come.
Pat

9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.

Comments

• WebPower
    edited March 2023 #2
    A few key notes:
    Turbine is very quiet.
    Longer 3 bladed blades fit on 5 blade hub. Seems to provide better low wind performance (seems to start up at lower wind speed.)
    Wires out of power transfer are 10 or 12 gauge stranded.
    Brushes can't be removed without removing power transfer.
    Large c-clip on outside bottom of the turbine holds the power transfer in (and the tight fit of case to bearings helps)
    Removal of smaller c-clip on inside of turbine on power transfer doesn't allow power transfer to move from inside of bearings (too tight).
    Stator wire connectors for brush body are crimped, not soldered. But appear to be a very tight crimp.
    No lockwashers were on the stator wire connections on the brush body. One nut was just snug, not tight. I added lockwashers.
    Lack of lockwashers was the only issue I noticed in the disassembly.
    Brushes will break if you don't take care in ensuring they don't get caught on the bushings as you install the power transfer.
    Each stator winding is 3.7 ohms. Verify resistances are same across all three windings.
    You cannot remove the middle stator winding connection from the brush housing without removing the power transfer.
    Brush housing is held against the back of the body by spring tension of the brushes. Tension is pretty good.

In order of Photos:
    Brush housing with brush I broke installing power transfer. Power transfer with brush housing behind, Stator inside body with power transfer still installed, Label on fin, original 5 blade length, permanent magnet rotor size, power transfer, overall turbine housing length

9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.
  • WebPower
    edited April 2023 #3
    a couple of added items:

The turbine is quiet if running it at 16v like I am with the grid tie circuit discussed in another thread of mine. If running with the buck power supply that allows its rated voltage/power, you can hear it as it's spinning at a much higher RPM.

Shaft threads are metric 16x1.5mm with a nylon locknut.

It has a large O ring in-between the body and the cap that the rotor shaft goes through that fits over the front 1/3 of the stater.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Pat,

What brand/model of buck supply?

Is the supply doing some sort of MPPT (maximum power point tracking)? Or can you set an "input operating voltage"?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • WebPower
    edited April 2023 #5
    I haven't had enough wind to see what it will do consistently in-circuit with the IQ7 load. On the bench, once the cut in occurs it will let the supply run up to the 60v limit of my supply, outputting a constant 22.9VDC or so. Here's the one I bought. Its a Chinese one and is a simple switching power supply with a large input range. They make higher wattage ones. I got the 432W/18A one. It lets the input go where it wants, you don't set anything.

Pat

• WebPower
    edited April 2023 #6
    Here's a video of the turbine operating with a switching power supply allowing it to run at rated voltage. This is one of the ones that smoked after a short time because the turbine output got too high. This is the grid connected turbine system discussed in the other thread on this site. The power meter is between the turbine output and the input of the power supply.

Pat

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 #7
    Regarding "lock washers" ... NASA states, both split ring lock washers and star lock washers are worthless. You will not find any split ring lock washers or any star lock washers on anything that NASA assembles.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    What do they use to lock nuts then?
  • WebPower
    edited May 2023 #9
    Well, I'm not NASA...And their bolts probably cost more than $100 each!

• WebPower
    Moving this over from the grid tie discussion, the enphase microinverter loads the turbine down around 16vdc after regulation. Because of this reduced clamping voltage, the turbine produces considerably less power for me. So I'm experimenting with inserting a buck power supply after the rectifier pack.

I am seeing that in higher winds that I don't get that often, the buck supply will produce considerably more power. Problem is I have to use a buck supply that cuts in at 26.5v. I don't have my anemometer mounted yet so I don't know the wind speed crossover point where the turbine reaches 29.5v or so when the buck supply starts generating power. It seems like I when it's windy enough to spin the turbine, it's running in the 20-25v unloaded voltage range.

More experimentation to go...