Pylontech UP2500 Lithium battery

Options
Ako
Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
edited February 2023 in New Battery Technologies #1
Could someone please provide a simple explination about these batteries , it seems they have to be connected direct to the Inverter while my AGMs go to a Bus bar with the MPPT and other pieces of equpment . Im also puzzled that they look very different to other LiFePO4 batteries , others  apear very simular ourwardly to my existing AGMs , how are the Pylontech different and would it be advisable to use them . Its the long life at 90% plus discharge that i find atractive , my AGMs have to be suplimented with a generator for an hour or two when we have bad weather as i wont discharge more then 50% , if i had the option to go down to 90% i wouldnt need to use the Generator at all as i put in no more then 30-40% which is always sufficient to see us through . The Pylontech look far more complex so im wondering if i would need other equipment to be able to use them , i have only Victron Smart solar MPPT , Multiplus Inverter and Cerbo . Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated before i part with my hard earned cash .
2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    This system?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

The schematic seems to show "standard wiring"... Copper bus bars in the "middle" between everything else (batteries, inverters, charge controllers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ako
    Options
    Thanks again Bill , it apears that these batteries are coneced basicly in the same way my AGMs are , just looks a lot more proffesional and complex . I read the Link you sent and it apears that if i buy them then i will not need the Shunt i have on order as these batteries combined with the Cerbo shows SOC which is the reasoning for me ordering a Shunt .

My system is 24 volt and it says needs to control the charge through a 48 volt MPPT . It also shows that it can be conected vie a VEDirect cable to the Cerbo , Vitron has the advantage of excelent monitoring but can be confusing with so many different ways to achieve the same thing . I notice that most of these batteries and litrature is more for 48 volts .

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Victron seems to be one of the Manufacturers that has gone big into 48 Volt Inverters (and inverter/chargers).

So their support of 48 volt DC buses in their "native/default" information seems to be part of a planned strategy. (I have no clue--Just guessing).

Regarding current sensing options--I do not study this stuff "in my spare time"--Just enough so I can help with answers and guide readers.

After you are done here, you will certainly know more than I.

I am a bit confused by this statement:
    My system is 24 volt and it says needs to control the charge through a 48 volt MPPT .
    Are you migrating to 48 volt battery bus, or trying to figure out the exact configuration needed to support a 24 VDC battery bank and an MPPT solar charge controller configured for 24 VDC battery charging?

Just want to get the details right... There are so many wires/voltages/options, just don't want to guess.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The store here sells a Victron 24V LFP. Not sure where you are AKO but Pylontec looks very foreign to me and I have heard very little good or bad about them.

The NAZ store has many makes of LFP that are supported by the store and have good reputations. 

https://www.solar-electric.com/victron-energy-25-6v-200ah-lifepo4-smart-battery.html

Also look into a system that can close loop charge your battery. Close loop charge is the path to really fast charge times. It also protects the battery from excessive discharge amps and gives the BMS control and accurate Soc readings without external shunts.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Ako
    Options
    Sorry for being vauge Bill , I meant to say that my system and equipment is all bought in the last few months and i do not wish to change anything and my system is 24 volt however in the linl you sent me it states that these pylontech btteries need to be conected to a 48 volt MPP in order to have there harge controled and of course my Victron MPPT is opperating on 24 volts as is my inverter .

David , i am in Spain , not the easiest place to buy anything localy , distributors are limited and customer service is cerianly nothing like they have in US or UK . Transporting anyting is also very expensive , i use Amazon for almost everything . As i mentiond above my current equipment is all new so i dont wish to replace anything other than my batteries and ony because i like the idea of LiFePO4 batteries being less critical with reguard charging , they can be partly charged during bad weather days and cycled deeper without any long term effects , and the inbuilt BMS they show seems to make them far more idiot proof .
  • Dave Angelini
    edited February 2023 #7
    Options
    So why not look at the the link I gave you and see if it will work/search on Spain Amazon.  It almost always makes sense to use the same brand.

Learn about the difference between open and closed loop for Victron. I know that Discover AES LFP work well with Victron.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-12,8-&-25,6-Volt-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries-Smart-EN.pdf

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've got no experience directly with them, but Pylontech is a pretty reputable battery company, and they have managed to develop what has turned into - for now - one of the few open standards for how a LiFePO4 battery (specifically the BMS of the battery) communicates with inverters and charge controllers. Some other companies are building batteries that are touting "Pylontech compatible" communications with other devices.  My guess is that Pylontech is bigger in Europe than in the US, and since Victron is from Europe, I would be surprised if they don't already work together. Again, I have no experience with them so don't know for sure.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2023 #9
    Options
    You might be right on Europe! In the US they have been a big disappointment as they worked with Schneider Solar to close loop with Insight.
    They then fell off the planet and do not answer inquiries.  They are big Chi Coms and that scares me, and rightly, it should scare anyone spending alot of money on something with poor support! They do not sell this battery at NAZ !