Reset the Microprocessor on Whisper Controller

Options
vbyrness
vbyrness Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
I have a Whisper 80/200 Wind Generator purchased from Southwest Energy years ago.  To provide power to my off-grid cabin, I combine the wind generator with solar, feeding a bank of batteries.  I recently upgraded my batteries to lithium batteries.  When I began to hook the wind generator back up to the controller, the light for the diversion switch did not come on.  According to the manual, the microprocessor needs reset.  Pushing the reset button did nothing.  We have a second controller; same result.  Can anyone tell us how to reset the microprocessor?

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Southwest wind power?  Yikes!  I had an H80 last 11 years, after 2 re bearing builds it blew itself apart in a windstorm.  Still havent found all the bits after 10 years.  I recall the lack of control that the controller provided...the voltage would zip past the setpoints all the time before diverting.  That's not something you want to have happen with lithium batteries.  Their BMS's would suffer not doubt, if not the cells themselves.
    Can you just have them charge a couple of golf cart batteries for a sometimes load?  Keep it safer that way.
  • vbyrness
    vbyrness Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Options
    Yikes is right.  We actually haven't had an issue with it until we disconnected it to install the new lithium batteries.  The setpoints seemed secure, but now I'm wondering.  You're right, we don't want to chance damaging our new batteries. Thanks for your response.