ANL fuse holders

Most of the cheaper car ANL fuse holders have the fuse lugs on top and the cable going in the sides with a crimp down Allen screw.Those
Allen screws damage the fine wire strands. Is there some reason you cant just put ringlets on your cable and put them under the fuse lugs also and just skip the side holes...?  thanks

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, generally, Fine-Strand cable should NOT be used on most screw-compression terminals,  some people use Ferrules, but I would not.

Think that the "ringlet" is probably a crimped-on Ring terminal.

The fuse holder may not be designed to accept the required torque on that part of the holder,  and perhaps there might be some other detail that might not be compatible with this different approach.

...   and so on,  sometimes the exact detail does matter,  but, I do NOT know for certain.   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    I can cut out little shaped pieces of copper from old water pipe that have a slight radius and offer protection to the strands...
    in addition to a ferrule if I can get one on..that will do it..
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    I use these ferrules with fine stranded wire and set screws. Choose the size that just fits the diameter of the stripped end of the wire. 

Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries