Need Help with 2512ix and vmp 37.5 panel.

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I think I screwed up on this. I am putting this single 160w panel on or Volvo semi that I tow our 5th wheel RV with. The problem is the 2512ix, it has a max of 35vdc PV input voltage. I am getting 41.5 volts at the connectors for the controller. I was trying to get a high voltage panel for my 12v bank to get more bang out of the MPPT controller. I am starting to think I am going to get a bang alright, except its going to be me frying the controller. The panel reads like this, Voc 44.5 Vmp Isc 4.64amp, Vmp 37.5 4.27amp.

Do I need to be using a different controller?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need Help with 2512ix and vmp 37.5 panel.

While the 2512ix is an mppt type controller (and a good one IMHO) it is limited to 12 vdc (nominal) input. It is not designed to down convert larger input voltages to 12 vdc, unlike many other MPPT controllers. It sounds like you have a mismatch between your panel and your controller. I believe that Bluesky makes another mppt controller that will handle your voltage.

http://store.solar-electric.com/blskysbchco3.html

Or the Morningstar series. http://store.solar-electric.com/mosumpsochco.html

Perhaps you can trade it out. If not send me PM and maybe I will consider buying it from you.

Tony

I confess I did the same thing when I bought my 2512ix. I had intended to wire my array @24vdc only to discover that I couldn't.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I was just on the Blue Sky page and found they make a 3024IL that I can still use my IPN Pro remote, shunt and battery temp sensor.

Unfortunately I have had it since July so I am not sure if I can exchange it. Never installed just sitting in its box.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Contact who who bought it from,,, and see if they can give you credit towards the other one,,, since you bought the IPN Remote,,and the bts from them,,,they might be inclined to make such a deal,,, maybe with a restocking charge. Worst case, sell it.

Tony