Question for the Ham Operators

Bignewsantafe
Bignewsantafe Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
So what inverter are the Amateur Radio Operators using and @ what wattage? Something that won't give off a bunch of RFI ! I'm in the market for something around 4k watts on a 24 volts system. My system consists of 20 Kyocera Solar KC130TM 130w panels, total of 2600w. Setup in 4 strings, 2 strings parallel for each of the 2 TS MPPT60, parallel into the 1470 Ah battery bank. Looking to run the 500-watt Elecraft KPA 500 amplifier, desktop PC, LED lighting, and a few other low wattage devices in the shack.  
Thanks for looking!
N7AWM
Tagged:

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Allen,

Little time, now,  but, MPPT Charge Controllers, probably create quite a bit more RFI, than do name-brand inverter/chargers.

In general,  Common-Mode chokes, twisted cables, cables in metal conduit, like, EMT, and separation of power electronics from aerials will help a lot.

Here is a     L  O    N   G     Discussion here, that you might want to skim:
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/4685/radio-noise-from-pv-system/p1

More later,  73,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    Allen,

For an inverter/charger,  would suggest that you only consider units which are FCC Part 15-Class B compliant.  I only have experience with name-brand FCC compliant Low Frequency inverter/chargers.

There are two separate locations, here, where we use the venerable Xantrex (became Schneider) SW+ 5548s (two, stacked for 240 VAC), which, with all above-ground cables run in metal conduit,  long runs to structures underground, and simple chokes right at the output of the inverters, have NO detectable emissions, whatsoever, at the completely off-grid very remote locations.

CC emissions respond fairly well to Common-Mode chokes at PV input, and the output (close to the CCs), and all cables run in metal conduit, all the way to the PV connection boxes.  The PVs themselves have a large number of unshielded conductors (primarily cell interconnects), which  do radiate somewhat.

Vertical antennas seem much more sensitive to noise from the CCs, in use here.

FWIW, we now use MidNite Classics as the primary CCs, but, in the old days, used Outback MX-60s, which are still mounted "on the wall", as backups.  All of the Classics have been in service, for 12 years,  the 5548s, the Surrette batteries, and the PVs, are in their 17 th year of continuous off grid service,  SO, all of this gear is a bit dated.

FYI,  had hoped that other Hams might have some suggestions on quiet inverters.  73, GL.   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Bignewsantafe
    Bignewsantafe Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Vic. So far the MS MPPT's haven't created any noise, but haven't been on the radio much as I just got these running last week and was out camping last 4 days. My shack is inside my metal pole shop in its own room. Which seam to block out a lot of noise. I'm using a 5c#6 direct burial cable from the 2 arrays about 80 feet. I have another 12 panels, MS MPPT60 CC, and another 2130 Ah bank of batteries for a 12 volt system to run the radios  and 12v accessories. 
     At my old location I did some experimenting with a Samlex PST-600-12 pure Sine wave, and a Tripp Lite PV3000HF inverters and was getting RFIfrom them. 
     I've read some on the Schneider with mixed reviews in the past,  guess I'll look into them again. Any thoughts on if 4000w will work well with my setup?
    Thanks again & 73.
    Allen
    N7AWM 
  • Vic
    Hi Allen,

Please tell us about your batteries (type, and string config).  The 12 V, 2130 Ah bank is huge!

Later, Vic