Recommended charging voltage settings for 3 month vacation.

Options
littleharbor2
littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
 I'm going to be babysitting my neighbor's batteries, (24 volt FLA) while they escape the upcoming Baja summer heat. I was hoping to get others feelings on whether changing the charge settings while the system will be idling along with no load to speak of all summer.
  I'm wondering if turning down the bulk/absorb voltage settings would be a good or bad thing as to possible sulphation goes? I figure as long as the batteries would be basically fully charged that sulphation wouldn't be an issue. I will of course be checking the electrolyte levers about every 3-4 weeks.
 Also, would there be any benefit to turning up or down the float voltage?
 Or should I just leave the settings as they are?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Comments

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    For the experts out there:

Providing there are no “must have on loads” like a freezer, why not shut the system down and do a periodic top up charge, like once a month?
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the experts out there:

Providing there are no “must have on loads” like a freezer, why not shut the system down and do a periodic top up charge, like once a month?
    Yes, that's one option. 

Owner told me he shut down everything   and came back to very low electrolyte levels. I tend to think he left one of his two controllers on and misunderstood my question about them being off as well.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Disconnecting the negative cable would solve any “leakage” issues. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries