New help figuring out ATS for Sol-Ark Solar System

Options
I want to bypass my Sol-Ark solar inverter so that if it stops working, an ATS can detect the drop, switch over to grid power and my critical loads panel remains powered. I worry that if the Sol-Ark dies on me, my critical panel would not have power and food would spoil. The switch would be automatic but I could also use it as a maintenance by-pass switch if I ever needed to remove my inverter and have it repaired/replaced. The inverter passes AC power from the grid through to the critical loads panel if/when there is no sun. But if the inverter dies on me, it cannot pass AC grid power through it to power my critical loads panel , if this makes sense. The solar inverter I have detects if its input is AC grid power, or power from my stand-by generator. Generator has an ATS that takes home off grid power, and starts/connects generator. Does anyone know what I may need to buy for a maintenance bypass switch? is it manual, automatic? I prefer automatic (an ATS). I worry a bit about the ATS somehow confusing the Sol-Ark, I think many or most ATS are looking for a certain frequency (hertz) and I dont want it to get confused. Basically the ATS would sit in-between my critical needs panel. The ATS would have Sol-Ark power running to it, and the ATS would have grid power running to it. If/when the Sol-Ark takes a (you know what), the ATS would automatically discover that something is the matter and automatically switch over and power the critical panel from grid power. For what its worth, my Generac generator is on an ATS and is is connected to my main panel (not my critical panel). I do not connect the generator to the Sol-Ark GEN connection. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Damn the mules, load the wagon!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum R4S,

Quick question... Do you want a sophisticated ATS or a simple relay--Lose 120 VAC, transfer over to backup/grid power?

Personally, many times I like "simple"--Less things to go wrong. Here is an example of a "simple" ATS:

https://www.solar-electric.com/pomaxpmautrs.html

Just connect Inverter to generator input, and and utility power to the shore power input... AC inverter is "ON", power supplied to load (after 30 second "warm up" delay). If AC Inverter power fails, then shore power activates. Single phase 120 VAC only.

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/PMTS-Install.pdf
    Operation: When shore power is available, it is automatically connected to the Control Panel. To operate from an onboard generator, start the generator and after 20 to 30 seconds power will automatically transfer from shore power to generator. The time delay of 20 to 30 seconds allows the generator voltage to stabilize. When the Generator stops, power automatically and immediately transfers back to shore power. 
    Different brand/model (and higher current rating)--Supports 120/240 VAC Split Phase power too:

https://www.solar-electric.com/surge-guard-automatic-transfer-switch-50a-hardwire.html
    https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Southwire_40100_installation.pdf

There are other ATS that can do weekly tests and such--I believe more towards a backup genset with self test and such... Might be difficult to interface to your Inverter/Utility power setup. ???

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ready4Sunshine
    Ready4Sunshine Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you. I would definitely need 120/240 since my inverter has L1 and L2 and the critical panel is wired that way. I have some breakers 120v and some 240v. 

Attached is my diagram. The ATS shown in PURPLE is what I'm looking to buy and install. Everything else shown in the diagram is installed and currently working. I'll take a look at the links you provided. Thanks for the reply!

• Ready4Sunshine
    Options
    Correct, I dont want/need anything too fancy because I dont need it to test my GENSET (the Generac ATS does this weekly), and the Sol-Ark will test a GENSET as well but I dont have my GEN connected to my Sol-Ark, but I've read where the Sol-Ark does know where the power is coming from based on frequency (from grid or gen).  I was afraid to get a 2nd ATS but its separated, not sure if it would cause any issues or not based on frequency or detecting power coming from Sol-Ark versus power coming from Grid. 
  • Ready4Sunshine
    Options
    Do you know of any ATS that could work for me thats rated at 100A?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    For a manual transfer switch, you can get brand specific circuit breaker interlocks (up to 200 amps or more) that fit standard load panels. Here are some for SquareD:

https://www.amazon.com/square-d-breaker-interlock-kit/s?k=square+d+breaker+interlock+kit

Otherwise, I don't have much more information...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset