Midnite Solar Rosie HF Inverter 27kW Surge Test

onanparts
onanparts Registered Users Posts: 4
Last May I posted a video here of a Rosie powering a pair of portable air compressors. Have an updated video! :)

I did a 27kW surge test on the Midnite Solar Rosie 6.8kW rated High Frequency Inverter today. COLD START! 12kW of incandescent lights and four portable air compressors. The pumps have a total surge of 15kW and running watts around 7.5kW. Inverter DC input breaker was off. The loads were all switched on, then the Inverter was switched on. The Rosie didn't even flinch! 27kW cold start surge on a High Frequency Inverter! Running watts load was about 16kW. Typical HF Inverters have crappy surge capacity. Not the Rosie! Next week I'll be adding more loads and try to find her upper surge limit.  Robin, Midnites President, has told me to try and break their new inverters. I keep trying, but so far not much luck. I did this video, then repeated the surge tests about 10-15 more times over about hour or so, she survived!.....Stay Tuned!

Sorry about the unsteady camera, had been on my feet 14+ hours and tired.....:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0YE-2cVWBU

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Great to see it's not vapourware, real hardware.  I just wish it was available 5 years ago when I needed to replace my Xantrex SW4048.
  • RedHillLabs
    RedHillLabs Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    Is this transformerless? If so, is it equipped with a circuit that detects DC at the output, such as would occur if output switches or controller failed. A large DC output destroys loads and sets fires. Surge testing should be done by baking it a 120 degF at full rated load then shorting the output. Repeatedly.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this transformerless? If so, is it equipped with a circuit that detects DC at the output, such as would occur if output switches or controller failed. A large DC output destroys loads and sets fires. Surge testing should be done by baking it a 120 degF at full rated load then shorting the output. Repeatedly.
    Have you posted this question on the Midnite Solar Forum? You can chat with the actual engineers from Midnite about these things.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.