Confused wiring a Magnum MS4024pae

Options
nobadays
nobadays Registered Users Posts: 43 ✭✭
Trying to help a friend wire the off-grid solar for his cabin. Have been pouring through the manuals but can't find the answers I seek. As stated he is using an MS4024 inverter coupled with an MMP 250-60s e-panel. His generator only outputs 120vac. As I look at the wiring diagrams for the MMP 250-60s it seems to require L1/L2/Nuetral, this passes through the bypass switch to the inverter. Is there a way to wire this panel/inverter with his 120vac having only L1/Nuetral... and then get 240vac back out of the inverter? I can't find this mentioned in the manual.

My Schneider 4048 Conext allows for this as long as the hot is connected to the correct terminal so the inverter can qualify the incoming current, 240vac is then put out to my load center.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    From page 29 of the manual:

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Magnum-MS-PAE-Manual.pdf
    2.3.5 Wiring the AC Input and Output The MS-PAE provides 120/240 VAC on the output, but the input may be wired either as a 120/240 VAC input or a 120 VAC input (to one input only) depending on the AC source. The AC output continues to produce 120/240 VAC with either the 120/240 VAC or 120 VAC input configuration.

WARNING: DO NOT connect 120 VAC (same phase) to both AC HOT 1 IN and AC HOT 2 IN inputs. These inputs must be 180° out-of-phase (i.e., 120/240 VAC). If you only have a 120 VAC source, you may connect to either the AC HOT 1 IN or AC HOT 2 IN, but NOT to both or damage may occur.

WARNING: Before making any AC connections, make sure the inverter is disconnected from the battery bank and that no AC power is connected to the inverter.

Info: If providing only 120 volts to the inverter input, the charger must be turned down to 50% to prevent overheating from occurring.

CAUTION: The inverter’s AC output must never be connected to an AC power source. This could cause severe damage to the inverter and is not covered under warranty.

Info: Torque the six-connection AC terminal block screws to 16 in lbf (1.8 Nm). Torque the two AC ground terminal screws to 45 in lbf (5.1 Nm). The following steps are basic guidelines for installing and connecting AC wiring directly from a main panel into a MS-PAE Series inverter, and from the inverter directly to a sub-panel.

Note: If you are installing the MS-PAE inverter(s) on a MMP/MP enclosure, refer to the respective enclosure owner’s manual for all AC wiring instructions (as an example, Figure 2-9 shows the AC wiring for a MS-PAE inverter installed on a MMP enclosure).
    Wiring the Inverter AC Input (from the main panel)

a) For a 120/240 VAC input: Connect the hot 1 wire (black) from the main panel’s dedicated dual-pole circuit breaker to the inverter’s HOT 1 IN terminal, and then connect the hot 2 wire (red) from the main panel’s dual-pole circuit breaker to the inverter’s AC HOT 2 IN terminal.
    b) For a 120 VAC input: Connect the hot wire (black) from the main panel’s dedicated dualpole circuit breaker to the inverter’s AC HOT 1 IN or AC HOT 2 IN terminal, but NOT both or damage may occur.

CAUTION: If using only a 120 VAC input source, you will need to turn the charge rate down to 50% using a remote control (i.e., ME-RC, ME-ARC or ME-RTR). This prevents the inverter from overheating because of a transformer imbalance when charging the battery bank and running loads from both the HOT 1 and HOT 2 outputs.

3. Connect the neutral (white) wire from the main panel’s neutral busbar to one of the inverter’s AC NEUTRAL terminals (both of the inverter’s AC NEUTRAL terminals are common to each other).

4. Connect the safety ground (green) wire 
    Assuming I got the correct manual for the unit you are trying to wire--Looks pretty straight forward.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nobadays
    nobadays Registered Users Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you!  I was looking in the manual for the mmp250-60... duh, looking in the wrong manual!