Inverter eating up my power!

Options
2»

Comments

• mike760
    mike760 Registered Users Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Vic,

Thanks for the response.  Yes I have all the docs and maintenance manuals on the batts and I have been following it very closely because of the expense on the batts.  I have done the calcs where necessary and customized the charge and battery configuration sections in the gateway.  They are connected to an off-grid system so they are cycled at least once a day, sometimes more during heavy loads in the summer.  I did EQ the bank,  As I mentioned above, I used my refractometer not a hydrometer because I understand that the refractometer is much more accurate/reliable than a hydrometer.  That's how I was able to get the exact numbers posted above.

My issue is that the inverter system is reporting that the batts are charged 100% but the specific gravity test shows otherwise.  Does anyone know how to correct this?
  • mike760
    Options
    24 @ Rolls 2YS31P

Sorry everything is a mess with the covers off but still hooking stuff up.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me just add,

Mike,  you have done a ton of work there,   and invested a huge amount building this system,  as you know,  much,  much better than I.

You have mentioned that there are some more 2YS31s,  on order,  if so,  you may have some plans regarding how the existing plus any batteries that you will be adding   ...

The batteries,  toward the far end of the power room.   Are the existing Surrette 2YS31s?

If you are using Flooded batteries inside that power room,  you will want a way to vent them,  outside,  and yet,  keep them cool-ish.
    [As you know,  Flooded Lead Antimony batteries vent H2,  acid vapor (and spatter),  as well as toxic gasses, sometimes.   So  containment,  venting and cooling can be very important].

Are the 2YS31s that are on order going into the existing power room (35 ft containter),  or,  perhaps are the batteries being relocated into an adjacent battery room?

Just some curiosity.   Thanks,  Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike760
    Options
    Vic,

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes, it has been a lot of work and I probably went a little crazy on some details but I like everything in metallic conduit.  I think it looks better than flex or pvc but I also feel a little safer as well with that much power going in every direction.

So I have two inverter systems, that's why the line of equipment on the wall is so long.  Yes the batts in the pic are the existing ones and the others will be added along the same wall where I have the fold out table right now.  I will have two separate battery banks, one for each system.  The first has two inverters and was using the battery bank in the picture.  The second has four inverters.  I temporarily shut down the first system and moved the load and battery connections over to the new system.  The purpose is to wait for the new batteries to come in and to also overhaul the first smaller system.  I will be expanding that by adding two more inverters so that it is maxed out and I also want to reconfigure my connections to the PV panels to get more out of the charge controllers.  I am also starting to grade for the third array which will add another 132 panels to the setup.

Breathing the toxic gasses has not been a problem until some of my teeth fell out last month so I am going to start using the exhaust system that I put in.  It has a damper on the intake on one end and an externally mounted exhaust fan on the other.  In addition I have a few air conditioners mounted.  Total 3 tons of cooling.  I split them up because the container is 35'L and I wanted redundancy.  I'll try to snap some pics of that stuff when I get a chance.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Mike,  thanks for the added info on your system.

All of that metal pipe is certainly beautiful,  as is ALL of the rest of that system!

Fine on everything  looks very nice,  being the largest off-grid system I have ever seen,  she's a beauty.

Hope that you are kidding about losing some of  your teeth,  though.

Love to see more of your project.   Take care,  have more FUN,    thanks,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.