Schneider MPPT 80 600

Options
I have a Schneider  MPPT 8600 that was manufactured in December 2019 it was returned to the store by the person that bought it in April 2020, was returned January 2021. The store Does not carry Schneider products any more, and I was in there this past week ask them if they had any Schneider products left and they had this and they gave it to me. They said the previous owner had an error code
F 84, ground fault 2  and I could possibly upgrade and get it to work. After some research I saw the error code pop up and said to contact Snyder support. Is this repairable because I would like to replace my midnight Controller with this unit. 
I have all Schneider Solar except for the midnight cc, 4048 running 48 volt, 8-295 panels, 8 AGM 440 batteries.
Montana off grid location.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What store? The mppt needs to be configged correctly for gfci. They very rarely fail. Is the fuse good? Have you read the manual for proper set-up? This is critical because someone else has mucked around with it. Tell us what you have done?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Montana53
    Montana53 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Axmen, where I have purchased my Schneider Inverter SW4048 and Midnight Classic CC..I Upgraded my equipment 2 years ago thru them.
    I was given the MPPT 80, since they no longer deal in Schneider, said the previous owner returned, had a fault code. Since I have the equipment I should be able to view the fault F84, and possibly upgrade to see if fault goes away. I installed the MPPT and powered up, installed update, no fault, but no charge to batteries was shown. 
    I let it set for a few hours, went back and shut down, powered up and the fault showed up on the XW SCP this time.
    Since I was unable to use, I reinstalled the Midnight CC.
    Installed per the guide, checked power from PV all was good at MPPT, checked fuse it was good.
    Not sure at this point next step, would like to integrate into my system since I am set using Schneider.

• Dave Angelini
    edited June 2021 #4
    Options
    I was thinking you meant the store here at wind and sun which did not make sense to me.

I would look at your DC buss and make sure negative battery is not earth grounded. The gfci needs negative battery floating to ground.  Or set-up the mppt gfci to disabled.
    The array needs a separate  positive, negative and a ground to the frame/panels/etc. Everything good there? Three wires right?
    You do need over 200vdc from the array but that is not your problem as you should not have the gfci fault.

Since this mppt is xfmr isolated input to output, you could try setting it up isolated from ground.
    If you power it up again, I would look at the harvest log history and see if it ever made any power. daily, monthly, yearly. If it is all zero's that could mean it never worked or was connected with the wrong polarity. Look at the meters screen in advanced settings for weird readings. I think you would see input current from the array even in the fault mode. Could be wrong on that.

There is a place over near the Great Lakes that will try and repair it.

• Montana53
    Options
    I bought my original setup from Northern Wind and Sun, Flagstaff Az many moons ago, still have some of the equipment hooked up.
    I did remove the ground and the error code F84 went away but no output for charging.
    I followed the diagram to you attached…..name of the repair near Great Lakes..or I am heading back to AZ could drop off at Store in Flagstaff if they could help on the repair ?
    The readings from the unit:

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I don't work for NAWS (I am a volunteer here on the forum)--But I would suggest that you call them first and make sure that they can run the tests and have an engineer available first--Before you "drop by".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Montana53
    Options
    Bill,
    Thank you for the information and can you send me the name of the repair shop back East, I may call them and see if they can repair, may just send to them.
    Do you know anyone in the Pacific NW that could also repair?
    thanks again,
    Eric
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I am not connected with NAWS/Schneider/etc... I don't have any information on where/how to repair these guys.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Why is there 71v on input to mppt? What is it with a voltmeter?  Wind and Sun does not do warranty other than a new unit failing in the first 30 days or so. That may have changed, but you have to know that there is no warranty on used equipment. This will be out of your pocket. You did not answer my question about the harvest history?