Affordable microinverters for 255W panels

Options
I have an existing ground mount grid-tie solar install with 16x 255W panels (60-cell, Vmp 30.9 V).

The system is 5 years old and was originally set up with 8x APS YC500A microinverters. Microinverters proved absolutely disastrous reliability-wise, I lost two early on and it looks like I lost a few more in the last year, so that I'm down to only 3 still producing power. Attempts to get them replaced under warranty failed, because both the manufacturer and the reseller ignore me (this was a self install).

I want to tear them out and replace them with something that works. What would be a good choice? Most people seem to like / recommend Enphase, but Enphase offers look both overpowered and overpriced for my needs (it does not make sense to me to spend $150/panel + tax, not counting new cabling and a new monitoring box, on something like Enphase IQ7-60-2-US, rated to 350+ W).

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Enphase, unless you want to relive the last 5 years ... Worth the price, they just work.

They can be purchased used, I bought a complete Quantity 12 M215 system for $400. Everything worked fine, sold 8 months later for what I paid as I installed other panels and equipment.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had excellent results with my 52 Enphase inverters.  No replacements in 11 years (touch wood).  Others I know of firsthand have had up to 40% replacements on identical 10kw arrays (installed by same company).  It might have to do with the line they're feeding in to.  My line is a dead ending line down my road, one single phase.  The almost in-laws 3 systems feed into one of 3 phases going past their farm...and there's a 100kw barn just up the road.  Could the power they deal with is affecting them?  All i know is our systems are identical and they're about 40% replaced inverters.