Iota IQ4 Smart Charger or IQ4 Equalizer

Options
ngnr
ngnr Registered Users Posts: 2
I've done some reading and am confused as to whether I need the Charger or the Equalizer, or neither.  I am buying the Iota DLS-45 to charge a single Discover 12VRE-3000TF-M8 battery by generator when the sun isn't shining.  Basically, get it up to 90% and then turn off the gen and hope for sun the next day.  Do I need the Smart Charger in this case of just plug in the little dongle to get the bulk voltage and then take it back out after a couple hours?  And since I'd like to be able to do an equalize occasionally, do I need the IQ4 Equalizer?  I understand the IQ4 Smart Charger will equalize but it needs to be continually powered by shore power to do that.

Sorry if this is covered somewhere already.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I bulk charge 2-L16's with a Iota DLS-45 just using the dongle. It holds the voltage to about 14.2 vdc and does a fairly good job bulking the batteries. My Honda eu1000 has trouble powering the charger on occasion when the batteries are discharged more than 70% soc, have to use the larger genny then. I have the older Smart charger and seldom use it, faster with the dongle for some reason and never got it to equalize. Nice light weight charger/ power supply.
  • ngnr
    ngnr Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Saggys.  I sent a support req to Iota while I was waiting to see what feedback I'd get here.  They suggested the IQ-Turbo module instead of the reqular IQ4 module because it does a shorter absorb, 2 hrs vs 8 hrs at 14.51 vs 14.2V and is closer to my battery charging spec.  I'm guessing you have the IQ4?  I've contacted my supplier to see if he can get the Turbo and in the mean time, I'll use the dongle to get my battery up.  I should have the Iota on Monday.  I have a 3kW Champion gen so I should be OK I think.

I appreciate the response!  All the best.