Crazy connection fees!

We are building a new office at my place of work, and even though the power lines are right at the street and only one pole has to be installed, it's going to cost north of $12,000 to run power about 200' for an 800 square foot building.  I'm so glad I'm off grid.  The world has gone bonkers.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    My brother-in-law a few years ago rebuilt his house in San Jose area and needed to have underground electric service (old house had cable from pole to home for 50+ years)--And it was a similar / crazy fee (something like several $x,000) to underground from pole (at edge of property to meter) feed of 50+ feet across his yard.

The past years of subsidized rural electrification and one time costs buried in bills across the utility are going fast (if not already gone for most people). All of the "Free Green Power/Solar GT Systems" (buried subsidizes) are just forcing utiliites and the MBAs to get their costs paid from "un/de/regulated" sources.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A million dollars a mile to repave an existing 2 lane road here in Mariposa Ca. This goes back for over 15 years now. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I am old enough to remember that Interstates were something like $1 million a mile (55 years ago?)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset