Are all GC 230 ahr batteries equal ?

Options
LewisFertig
LewisFertig Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
My 1st set of off grid batteries were trojan 8-6v @24 L-16 that lasted 8 yr. The 2nd set were trojan 8-6v @24v T-105 that lasted 10 yr. I  can't justify the L-16 over the T-105 based on battery life. I am now wondering if there is much difference between trojan T-105, deka GC-15, or Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL batteries ? The Interstate are available locally so I don't  need to plan the truck delivery and I can recover the core charge.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm wondering what if anything changed for the two different sets of batteries. Charging current, equalization, more or less loads.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • offgridcabin2015
    offgridcabin2015 Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi LewisFertig,   I only wanted to mention that i'm been using the exact same interstate batts ( Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL batteries) will be 5 years this feb 2021. NOte they have discontinued them here locally . I"M in Moncton, nb. Canada. Great batteries. Just a comment that may help you in your decision. Neil. 
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hemmm, sounds fishy l16 have more AH and would require more charging  power then the t 105s some thing like 225 Ah vs 380AH , is it possible that you where under charging the l 16  VS charging the t105s in the sweet spot ? ?? 
      I would be happy with 8 or 10 years any way 
      I use cheep sams club battery’s and have gotten good service but I’m not expecting 8 or 10 years out of them .
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • LewisFertig
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes  things have changed. In the last 8 yrs I've added an outback 60 mppt and 1000w solar to my 750w. I have a trace 4024 inverter. I use about 1-1.5 kwh per day. Nov. and Dec. are killer months here in northern NY.  
  • LewisFertig
    Options
    Thanks for the comment on the Interstate batteries. They are available locally (80 miles Watertown N.Y). I like the trojans but would have to order them from a supplier 150 miles away or have them trucked here. Any other experience with Deka GC15 batteries ?
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’ve had good experiences with interstate batteries also , I have a set of cheesy l16 in a hi low that is 10 or 12 years old and still work good. 
     We don’t use it every day but a charge still lasts all day and they don’t get babied .  
      I’ve see Sam club battery’s for sale for 89 buck again , some times they don’t charge a core charge . 
      It’s a lot of power for the money . 

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .