XW Pro won’t AC couple

ApexApex Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hello All, I have two XW Pro inverters AC coupled to 12 Chilicon micros and this system is off grid. We have installed AC coupling before with XW but not with Chilicon micros. I got the system up and running and what I’m seeing is the XWs raising frequency to curtail the micros prior to reaching anywhere near bulk voltage and in fact going up high enough to kick the micros off line. Here is the rub, if the micros are producing less then 2200 watts the XW will keep Hertz at 60, as soon as the watts goes above this it Shakes off the micros. Any ideas?

Comments

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 30,939 admin
    Check the battery voltage at the inverter's battery terminals? Too small or too long of battery cables can give higher voltage readings at the inverter....

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ApexApex Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    The cabling is less the 10’ and voltage is the same on the posts
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 30,939 admin
    What is the battery bank voltage at that point (GT inverters at less than 2,200 Watts)?

What is the programmed battery bank absorb voltage?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://solar.schneider-electric.com/xw-pro-enhancements-for-installation-with-pv-inverters-ac-coupling/

What is a chilicon? It needs to be compatible with xwp curtailment specs?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

The battery bank voltage is 54V when I see the freq. start to shake off the micros with a bulk setting of 58V. The Chilicon fstop/start are programmable ( set to 100% at 60.1 and 0% at 61.5) this is adjustable and we have rule21 and antilanding set to off. So this should be in line with what the XW wants.  
    edited September 12 #7
    Does it charge correctly if you monitor voltage, with AC coupling disabled?

Be careful when it gets to absorb and be ready to shut down charging.

What kind of battery? Is the system also DC coupled solar?

What does Chilcon say?

Have you considered reporting this to Schneider?   https://solar.schneider-electric.com/netsuite/
    E-mail [email protected]

If I disable AC coupling it will charge up to 60v before I shut it down.
    These are 2v AGM 1140Ah battery bank. No other charge sources.
    Chilicon says the micros are following the freq curtailment and I tend to see that. 
    Last time I talked to tech support they said it was the micros, but I ah e more info now.
    I just tried pushing the float setting up to 56V and the XW let that happen and BatteryV went to 56. So this means that the XW will not let Bulk or 3 hours of absorb happen and goes directly to float. I have the 3stage charge programmed as well. 

Yes a common problem when you do not use known working combinations of equipment. Each manufacturer will blame the other. That is why you take a risk when doing this. I know that Enphase works with Schneider because they recommend them and I have seen them to work. SMA, Fronius, and Schneider string inverters work also.

For the life of me I do not get why one would use a micro-inverter in an offgrid only system. I understand it if you converting an existing grid system to a battery inverter. I guess there is a slight value if there is shading. I just have zero tolerance for shading offgrid, so that advantage is not there to me. Having electronics on a roof or just outside is bad also offgrid.

Offgrid is all about being independent and not having new problems. It is hard enough to solve some of the old ones.

Get them both to work on the issue, and good luck on that one!  I would just buy a schneider charge controller and sell the other stuff. Lesson learned, that kind of thing.

If you have gateway working I could remote view, take a peek at the config. It could be something else is set wrong. It takes some experience to do this, even offgrid. I would bill you for this also. Way too much going on here for a freebie.  Good Luck!
    E-mail [email protected]

edited 2:35PM #10
    Ok here’s the latest update on this issue with the XW pro and AC coupling. Had Schneider tech look at the settings and they had no comments there. They did tell me something I had never heard before. The XW will start curtailing at minus one volt from the desired voltage. So if you set 58 volts it will start at 57 volts. They said that the micros were pulling power back to aggressively and this was the issue with not getting to bulk voltage. So yesterday I tried a test and set float at 52volts and opened up the fstop/start window in the micros to 60.1 Hz start and 61.5 Hz zero output. Yesterday was a cool clear sunny day, battery voltage never got above 52. Today I will set the float to 58 and see what happens. By the way (Dave) when our client has a round roof you design a system based on what your client wants and the azimuth limitations you have, You contact both companies, Schneider and Chilicon during the planning stage and ask them if there are any issues with compatibility. I have used both products for many projects, granted not together. I suspect this is not a compatibility issue, but a XW pro issue. As an example the current XW pro software will not run on a generator without pulling the frequency down to 45 Hz during shutdown. Schneider has a fix in the works but it shows that the new XW Pro has some issues. We have designed many systems on the edge of technology advances and this is what you have to expect if your pushing the boundaries. 
    You have a good attitude on pushing the boundaries. Wish you luck !

Most folks offgrid can't wait like your customer is. They want it all, and they want it now.
    E-mail [email protected]