What inverter brands are recommended?

yakapo7
yakapo7 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭
I’m looking for 12v or 24v pure sine wave around 1000 watts.  I’ve read that the inverter is the component most likely to fail in a solar Power setup.  This inverter will be used to power a chest freezer during power outages. Are there reputable brands that are less expensive than victron?  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I would suggest you look at the various brands/models/types first... And see what meets your needs (remote operation, automatic switchover from AC Mains to Inverter, programmable low voltage cutoff/charging options/sleep mode/etc.)...

Do you want an inverter that runs 24x7 (really needed for running a frost free fridge) vs one that "sleeps" and only turns on when AC power is needed (saves energy, useful for "dumb" chest freezers and/or non-frost free fridges), etc.. Then look at the prices/etc.

For example, for a pure backup inverter... An inverter+charger that keeps your bank charged and does an auto switchover when power fails would be interesting (you can always add solar panels and a solar charge controller later)... For example:

Read about a "higher end/higher function" inverter and see what it does for you... And then the stuff that is not interesting, you can drop those requirements and look for a unit that does what is left, at your price point.

This inverter may be too expensive for what you want to do (~$650)... But Cotek is a pretty good/reliable brand and does the auto AC transfer switch/inverting/charging/float charging (from AC mains/backup genset):

https://www.solar-electric.com/cotek-sc-1200-112-1200-watt-12-volt-inverter-charger.html

And many of the Victron units have some very interesting phone apps/communications--Again, may be interesting or not for you.

And eBay/Amazon has a lot of less expensive (and some very feature rich) units that are built overseas... The support may not be there--But if they do what you want for 1/3rd the price--You can always buy a second if the first fails.

I am not in the solar business (more of trying to do basic education / understanding engineering issues for our folks here). I really cannot give you recommendations--I just do not have that experience.

Others an give you suggestions on brands/models that they have had good and bad results.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • New_Mexico_Will
    New_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I've had good luck with AIMS.  I've seen others say that they are just rebranded from a different name (can't remember right now), but they have been rock solid for me.  My first system used an AIMS 3000 watt 12 volt inverter, and it was bulletproof.  It's a UL listed model and was $459.  I upgraded to a 48 volt inverter/charger, and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.  It was pretty darn pricey at $1,750 but worth it in my opinion.  I hope that is useful for you.