• Leanne
    Leanne Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    If anyone has any knowledge to share please
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Leanne,

Nothing specific... Just the general questions. Do you have a voltmeter? What is the DC input voltage to your inverter? And what is the AC output voltage?

Do you have nice/solid bolted connections from the battery bank to the AC inverter DC input? (jumper cable/clamps do not work well).

What is the voltage/Amp*Hour battery bank?

Has the unit ever worked correctly for you?

This the unit free of dust and fiber (interior)? What is the environment like (hot/cold/humid)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And one more question: What did this inverter cost?

Reason I ask is that many inexpensive solid state inverters either can't be repaired or it's not cost effective to do so.

Looking at Xantrex inverter/chargers at the Toronto boat show this January I couldn't help but notice the price difference between a 2000 watt solid state unit ($800) and a comparable transformer equipped unit ($2800).

Some Chinese manufactured inverters don't even cost that much so sadly you may be better off replacing it than trying to repair it. 
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Leanne
    Options
    It's a Cotek inverter. Thank you for your response. Will answer all your questions ASAP. 
    Much appreciated 
  • Leanne
    Options
    By comparison they expensive
  • Leanne
    Options
    Hi Bill
    Answers to your questions...
    I have a voltmeter
    DC in 27V 
    AC out 0V 
    Voltage AMP hour 100
    Working great for nearly 5 years
    Unit is dust free. 
    It was a wet and cold January February and March but April and May the weather has been warm and sunny.
    Hope that answers all your Q's
    Thank u 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    None of the "obvious" and (possibly) easily repairable faults.

I have a list that I have gathered over the years of people that repair inverters--But you are in South Africa (?), so that won't help you (I think they are in the US--At least one can sell you parts).

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/241766#Comment_241766

One of the issues is frequently one or more of the large power transistors fails, and frequently they either fail because the transistor drive circuitry fails, or the failure of the power transistor takes out the drive circuitry. Many times it involves the repair/replacement of multiple components. And without a schematic and parts list, it needs somebody with experience to even have a chance at repair.

I am sorry, but there is nothing I can do to help with the repairs. Getting 5-10 years of life with an AC inverter/power electronics/etc. is not a bad life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset