Done

Options
Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
The expansion from 1200 watts to 2000 watts is done.  And I didn't blow myself up. 

When I rewired the original panels into the new combiner it all went reasonably well.  But when I attempted to add the new panels I couldn't get the lectric stuff into the combiner.  Each string measured out with 105 to 110 volts at the end of each string but something was stealing the lectrics from between the ends and the combiner.  I had to make one connection on the negative leg of one string and it just happened to be smack dead center of the 15 foot conduit from one set of 10 panels to the combiner which was under the original set of panels.  I thought that the connector which was the type you put the wires into then heat it with a hair dryer/heat gun to melt the solder had failed.  Or I hadn't heated it enough to melt the low temp solder and when I pulled all the wires through the conduit I had pulled the joint apart.

These days I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier and my wife who had been assisting me in my endeavor to find the lectric stealing culprit is even dimmer than me when it come to lectrics. The next morning (yesterday)  I decided to go by myself so without my wife "assisting" me I was able to figure 1/2 of it out.  I hadn't connected one leg correctly.  I fixed that, and one of the two new strings now worked.  I did get the other string working but I don't know what I did to fix it. I suspect a poor connection on one of my self added MC 4 connectors but we'll never know .... both strings worked and I was able to charge my Prius with ease.  Thank God I didn't have to dig up the conduit.

I love the new setup.  Perhaps I could have gotten away with a few more years of  old batteries had I added the extra panels years ago. 

Today I went down and tried to "pretty up" the wires hanging down from the backs of the panels. 

Now I'm home and drinking beer.  Nope, not Corona beer ... I ran out.  The only good thing about the other Corona ( the virus ) is the roads were clear and I was able to get the lectric race Prius up to 22 mph.  Eat your hearts out Corvette owners.