car electrics

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Someone here might know a little about EVs.... most EVs use an AC motor and inverter front whee drive setup.. Nissan Leaf etc...
The motors are placed so the axles come out sideways towards the wheels.. In between the motor axles and the suspension there needs to be a differential on each side,no? ANyone have any experience in building an EV and how did you source the differential and how did you
mount it..?

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #2
    Options
    ws9876 said:
    Someone here might know a little about EVs.... most EVs use an AC motor and inverter front whee drive setup.. Nissan Leaf etc...
    The motors are placed so the axles come out sideways towards the wheels.. In between the motor axles and the suspension there needs to be a differential on each side,no? ANyone have any experience in building an EV and how did you source the differential and how did you
    mount it..?
    Well I suspect the Chevy Volt I own and a Nissan Leaf are the same, differential is part of the transmission on these front wheel drive vehicles.  I think there is on a single differential within the transmission.  the CV joints are also part of the drive setup.

One way around that would to be drive each wheel with its own motor.