Addressing load demand side

Options
spacebass
spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
In order to reduce my load consumption I am going to buy an expensive Xiaomi DC inverter floor fan 15",  20 watts and hang it from the ceiling, 3kgs , to replace my , 75 watt conventional ceiling fan . As an all day and night type appliance I hope the reduction in consumption might allow my 24 volt 210ah battery supply to go all night , seems pretty full most of the time but sun goes 1800 and not much just before. Might save me going very  expensive change to 48 volt to  increase capacity.
And Bill it was amazing in the early 70 s how the street level hi tech in the U.S. was absent compared with the UK maybe same now .(and Thailand!!!).

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    SB,

I guess this is the fan:

https://www.xiaomitoday.com/xiaomi-mijia-dc-fan-dismantling/

The USA seems to be completely different than many other countries... My wife is from Taipei, and you can go to a district where there is nothing but computers/electronics/etc... Another place nothing but plastic bags and packaging... And yet another for candy...

We just just do not have anything like that. And perhaps why Amazon and EBay are so popular here. It is the closest you can come to finding 20 variations of what you are looking for (price, options, size, etc.) in one place.

I live next to a major shopping center--And there is little non-clothes/non-makeup/non-food stuff there... The last thing that was do-it-yourself was Radio Shack... Not very interesting to me.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've retailed pretty much anything you can drop on your toe (up to and including condos), and many that you can't. 

In my experience north american consumers want a product packaged to meet their immediate need.  Period.  Real DIY is a tiny market.

It's interesting that many of the bits I've needed to DIY have had to come from europe or asia.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • spacebass
    Options
    BB. said:
    SB,

I guess this is the fan:

https://www.xiaomitoday.com/xiaomi-mijia-dc-fan-dismantling/

The USA seems to be completely different than many other countries... My wife is from Taipei, and you can go to a district where there is nothing but computers/electronics/etc... Another place nothing but plastic bags and packaging... And yet another for candy...

We just just do not have anything like that. And perhaps why Amazon and EBay are so popular here. It is the closest you can come to finding 20 variations of what you are looking for (price, options, size, etc.) in one place.

I live next to a major shopping center--And there is little non-clothes/non-makeup/non-food stuff there... The last thing that was do-it-yourself was Radio Shack... Not very interesting to me.

-Bill

Fantastic article Xiaomi certainly seem to be making some imaginative quality stuff.
    I think the general  U.S. view of Chinese products is highly tainted by the Walmart policy of ordering the cheapest spec type of anything they buy thus selling cheap Chinese crap most of the time, as was historical in the UK too ( Hong Kong).
    You will know that from China you can order many levels of quality and they deliver , Chinese marketed products often contain thoughtful  little extras like batteries small required tools etc that were long forgotten by Western manufacturers.
    I worked for a UK pro audio distributor they took on a brand of signal processing equipment brand 'Behringer' who was a German , he went to China and had his range manufactured to high spec and bought by the container , unheard of in pro audio, his gear was replacing traditional rental company pro brands in the UK at 4 of 5 times the price , this supported by the larger music market  where the product was now affordable, I have heard him say his high quality units cost 'dollars'.
    Manufacturing is over in the west not to mention government bonds.

• spacebass
    Options
    Estragon said:
    I've retailed pretty much anything you can drop on your toe (up to and including condos), and many that you can't. 

In my experience north american consumers want a product packaged to meet their immediate need.  Period.  Real DIY is a tiny market.

It's interesting that many of the bits I've needed to DIY have had to come from europe or asia.

I buy most of my stuff via www.lazada.co.th I believe there is also Lazada in the Philippines Malaysia etc. I guess this is one of the Asian eBay's., it is amazing the type things of You can order for no money that would be impossible to source in my youth and he very expensive such as ' set of screws with tools for Iphone'.  $4 if they existed then.

• spacebass
    edited August 2019 #6
    Options
    OK the most expensive xiaomi fan about 130$ which has lion battery supplement says 500 hours fan for 1kwh at specified speed. 3.5 kg miracle.
    My ceiling fan now 42.5kw 8days full output.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One real good value I have discovered coming from China are these Baofeng VHF Marine handheld radios. You can find them on eBay for under $25.00 for the whole kit seen here. I have bought 3 of them and am very happy with them They get used every day while I'm in Baja. They are quite rugged and haven't given any problems. Battery life is quite good. 3 days minimum full time use, between charges.

Of course I have no affiliation with these radios other than being a happy customer.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• spacebass
    edited September 2019 #8
    Options
    Change of plan in order to reduce constant load on main batteries I am running my bedroom ceiling fan from my 100ah truck battery in situ with 300 watt modified sine wave inverter + 18 watt led tube light goes through the night no problem have measured this fan at 24 kWh on low setting rated 85 watts. I am going to buy 1000 watt sine wave inverter and see what it does with inverter Aircon rated 1000 watts see if I can get 3 hours out of it as McGivor says his inverter runs much lower than 1000 watts when up and running.
    I am this weekend going to buy a Hitachi 7.7 q inverter fridge to replace my 14 q Panasonic inverter in the hope I can get through the night with my other 14 q LG inverter , went through the night last night with 23.7 volts left in my 210ah 24 volt deep cycle wet batteries, by the way the defrost cycle wattage of both big fridges is 161 kWh  . The 24 hour consumption of LG fridge was 1.15 kWh the Panasonic which is older and open door more about +50%.Energy save on.
    Inverter forever !
    What type of battery charger would the board recommend to charge mainly the 100 ah truck battery but also back up for 24 volt 210ah main  DSP modern or Copper coil old fashion , just buy 30amp or what ?
  • BB.
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the math/statement:
    have measured this fan at 24 kWh on low setting rated 85 watts. 
    defrost cycle wattage of both big fridges is 161 kWh
    24kWH = 24,000 WH

A 600 Watt defrost heater running 20 minutes would be:

600 WAtts * 20 minutes * 1/60 minutes per hour = 200 Watt*Hour of energy consumption....

Watts are a rate --- Like Miles per Hour (60 MPH)
    Watt*HOurs are an amount -- Like miles driven (60 MPH * 3 hours = 180 Miles driven).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    edited October 2019 #10
    Options
    I should add... 2x 6 volt @ 200 AH batteries in series would be 12 volts @ 200 AH battery bank or 4x 6 volt @ 200 AH for 24 volts @ 200 AH

And should be cheaper than a truck battery (a 12 volt @ 100 AH battery = 2x 6 volt @ 200 AH = 1,200 Watt*Hours of storage either type)--Plus "golf cart" batteries are deep cycle types... Truck batteries are usually not true deep cycle.

-Bill

PS: Correct the above statement (10/3/19):

2x 12 volt * 100 AH batteries in parallel = 2,400 Watt*Hours of storage (or 12 volts @ 200 AH)
    2x 6 volt * 200 AH batteries in series = 2,400 WH of storage (or 12 volts @ 200 AH)

-Bill
  • spacebass
    edited September 2019 #11
    Options
    The ceiling fan uses .5kwh in 21 hours.I probably meant used 24watts sorry. I have changed original post.
    I am utilising my truck battery that sits outside most of the time doing nothing I am well aware that it is not deep cycle ,  it goes down to about 11volts overnight with fan and light on and recharged by external 5amp charger when the solar batteries come on line takes ,about  6 hours.
    I am completly bemused by battery technology which I believe is being managed by huge corporations who own it , to make people buy the most batteries if course. This is confirmed by a cursory look at the internet where there is a great deal of non and unsure information and even Bill is not an expert, it should be easy to know what is the science of batteries but the answers are not readily available because of  U.S. drugs lobby like cartel.. There is also no indication at all about the difficulty of using lithium batteries which is made clear in this forum.
    For example there has been a change in the formulation of battery plates from the moly stuff to calcium with the lead , I have never read a word about the difference in performance as a result of this change , or even about the change, do they perform identically.????? No information from the industry
    Example 2. It is commonly written that if your a battery goes flat  You need to buy another one because  it is finished. The other day I accidentally left my keys in the truck with the ignition on , for three days , the battery was totally flat , according to the wisdom thisb100ah battery should be dead and scrap but I pulsed it for 10hours (who knows what this schieves) with. 5 amp charger and recharged it overnight to gift voltage level and now working as normal.
    It is simply not true that if you let your battery go flat it is necessarily finished.
    What other lies are propagated by the battery industry to promote sales???? Costing us all dearly.

What type of battery charger would the board recommend to charge mainly the 100 ah truck battery but also back up for 24 volt 210ah main  DSP modern or Copper coil old fashioned , just buy 30amp or what ?

• solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Great to know my awesome efficient fan is 6 years old and going strong pretty much 24/7 year-round. Pulls very little energy.
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/341271#Comment_341271
  • BB.
    Options
    Corrected my post #10 above... Fixed battery calculations.

-Bill