Conext Combox Reporting of "Qualifying AC"

a1certified
a1certified Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
In a system with an XW6048, 2 MPPT 60 charge controllers, and a 415AH 48V battery bank monitored and controlled remotely with a Conext Combox, I have a question about the "Qualifying AC" status.

I'm making inferences from communications from my grid utility and a neighbor, but I'm 1600 miles away from the site.  Apparently there was a lightening strike last night which took out power to the neighborhood at about 1AM.  It was nice to get communication from the utility to that effect.  The system did what it is supposed to and switched over to inverting to supply the backup loads.  All is good and well.  Get a communication from the utility at about 6AM that power has been restored to the area.  However, the ComBox is still reporting "Qualifying AC" and there is no grid AC input.  Things are still running fine on backup power.  It's about 8AM now and the sun is out and the panels are recharging the batteries as expected but still no grid AC input.  I contacted a neighbor down the road (farther down the line from my place) and he says that he had power this morning before going to work.

My suspicion is that the event of last night might have tripped the grid AC input breaker?  Going down that road, even if power were restored from the utility, there would still be no grid AC input available until I can go flip that breaker.  Is that even a possibility?  And if it is, would the ComBox report "Qualifying AC" in this state where the grid AC input breaker is off?  I suppose it could be the main breaker in the main electrical panel as well, but the net effect would be the same as far as the inverter goes, but bad in that the rest of the house wouldn't be getting power either.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there is no grid connection or an open circuit breaker. Below is what an offgrid XW looks like. This screen is from the Gateway and can be remote controlled on the web on Insight2.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me as if the XW is trying to qualify AC input, but it is not there. It its qualifying, it is looking for grid stability but does not say it is qualified.. Maybe Schneider needs to work on the wording there to make it a bit more clear. Hopefully it's just the breaker tripped.
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Dave Angelini
    Pretty clear to me at 0 V , 0 A, and 0 hz from the grid. ;)

• Tecnodave
    That is exactly what I see but the circuitry could still be "qualifying" the AC. If there are only two states, qualifying and qualified.......then
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Dave Angelini
    The Radian is similar,  I think you just do not like the way Schneider and Xantrex have set this up since 2005. Get on their web site and tell them if you think it is important.

• Tecnodave
    It's really a little deal, no deal breaker for me. I like Schneider products, I use Schneider Square D products almost exclusively. Some of the language and terminology does confuse persons who do not have an electrical background. If my MagnaSine fails ,right now I would choose Schneider XW+ to replace it. I think it is the better unit between the Outback, MagnaSine and Schneider products right now. That may change with MidNite introducing a good inverter for home use. The one issue that could be dealt with more effectively is the use of a common interface across the brands, this is doable, your automobile shop does not have 13 kinds of diagnostic devices, all automobiles speak the same language so a common code reader can be used by all. CAN bus is the standard! There is no real reasonable reason why you need a comm box for your Schneider gear that cannot communicate with a classic or outback charge controller.......well even my Classic's and Kid's don't talk to each other!
  • Tecnodave
    Schneider's readout would be just a bit better if for instance it only had the choices, no AC found , qualifying, qualified......it would be a bit clearer to the end user. To me the term "qualifying" implies that the unit has power but is waiting the required 5 minute grid stability requirement. Sometimes engineers need a translator to be understood.
  • a1certified
    a1certified Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks for the discussion.  I'm assuming it's just a tripped breaker but it will be weeks before I can get there and physically look at it and confirm.  For now, it's in off-grid mode and I'll get to observe how the battery bank performs.  First time it has left float!  The only question in my mind now is whether the tripped breaker is a) the AC input breaker on the XW, b) the breaker to the XW in the main house panel, or c) the grid input breaker in the main panel.  If either B or C, I hope that all the right circuits are on the backup panel!  ;-)  Haven't lived in the house long enough to fully explore that.  Just assuming the original owner was thoughtful in the selection of circuits to put on backup.
  • paulcheung
    paulcheung Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Looks like there is no grid connection or an open circuit breaker. Below is what an offgrid XW looks like. This screen is from the Gateway and can be remote controlled on the web on Insight2.

Hi Dave,
    Does the Gateway need a static IP address for remote controlled? I have cable internet and I connect my Combox to my router so I can access to it with my computers around the house. If I get the Gateway. do I need special connection to internet in order to remote controlled from another country?
    Thanks.
    Paul
    XW6848+ Magnum 4448PAE (Backup) 7800 watts total mixed Panels, 370 AH @48volts battery bank. Grid assist and soon be Tied.
  • Dave Angelini
    For remote configuration it needs what you have now for internet ! You then would load Insight2 on a computer (travel) and connect the computer to the internet.

• paulcheung
    Does Insight2 come with Gateway package? 
    Thank you.
    XW6848+ Magnum 4448PAE (Backup) 7800 watts total mixed Panels, 370 AH @48volts battery bank. Grid assist and soon be Tied.
  • Dave Angelini

• paulcheung
    Thank you