Arc Fault/ Rapid Shutdown......

Options
ligwyd
ligwyd Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1

Anyone know why Schneider does not make their Charge Controllers Arc Fault Compliant? I believe Midnite Solar's charge controllers have Arc Fault Protection built in. Also, have you guys done any conversions to existing systems to incorperate Rapid Shutdown after a project has already been completed.............. (ya I know.... why am I working in reverse :)

Just had the first walk through with my Electrician who may be pulling the permit for my project and then eventual inspection once everything is good to go.

My system does have a MNPV6-Disco mounted on the shipping container. I would think this would suffice for PV "rapid shut down". Not sure yet if I need rapid shut down for the battery bank and generator? I would think so since the batteries and Generator can still send power to the home.

Not sure yet but think my best bet and most cost effective may be to remove my two Schneider MPPT 60-150's and install two Midnite MPPTS of the same to have the system Arc Fault compliant. Then may have to remove my Midnite Disco and install a combiner/ disco than can accommodate rapid shut down and then install further rapid shutdown/ wiring components in all other appropriate places.

We'll see what the electrician comes up with after hes went over the solar section of the code book....

Wish there was an easier way to accomplish this but don't think there is. Living and learning (and paying for it) :)

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are plenty of ways to avoid using rapid shutdown and the first is not installing solar panels on a roof.

You can install an arc fault detector to most any make of system. I try and avoid anything that will false trip and if a ground mounted array is safely installed, there is little need for arc fault detection.

I know it is a pain but you just have to see what is locally accepted and the electrician may be of help along with the building department.

😎

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ligwyd
    edited February 2019 #3
    Options

Just updated my post to add that my system is stand alone in a 20' shipping container. So no panels on home roof. Maybe no rapid shut down needed. We'll see.

My concern then would shift to the batteries and generator. Since the container is locked and Home is on fire and you can't get to the AC Disconnect (fed from the Solar Shipping Container) then that dictacts external (of shipping container) disconnect of any and all power coming from the container. Light Bulb........ Wouldn't an external AC disconnect on the Container suffice? Mounted at eye level clearly labeled/ placarded?

I guess rapid shut down components do all this just fine, but so expensive. Costs that are then passed to the customer.

Re: Arc Fault. I like the idea of having arc fault protection even were it may not be necessary but don't like the thought of nuisance trips. I'm sure top notch Arc Fault products come with top notch prices, understandably so. If there ever was a need for the protection, would be nice if it was there to minimimze potential damage or loss. Until Scnheider builds it in I guess next build will be with Midnite MPPT's. Sacrificeing Xanbus communication with the MPPTs may or may not be a worthy trade off. We'll see.

I will be working with my electrician and inspector but just want to have well thought out solutions to suggest.

Thanks for anything. My heart rate is slowing :) You'll never forget the mistakes you leaned the hard way :)

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

About 4 or 5 times a year, SMA or ABB will hire me to change arc fault detectors for their warranty. Easy money and I don't have to go on anyone's roof, which I won't anyway.

I do not think Schneider is planning to build this in but I will ask. The XW pro is compliant with all of California and microgrid rules so they probably just use a Fire Raptor or similar device.

I think you are overthinking alot of this. An external disco and label works in this county and many other places. When dealing with county building just be polite and let them talk.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ligwyd
    edited February 2019 #5
    Options

I find it difficult not over think things. Sometimes that's good sometimes not :)

I've met the local Inspector before and He was great to deal with so no to worried there. I just really wanted to present an impressive final product, and I still can do that.

An external disco would make a great junction box for terminating the long run of cable at the container and then run to the home.

Have not heard of the XW pro. I'll look it up. Depending on pricing and avail. would be nice to try a project with Outback Equip once this project is complete.

For completed systems what seems to be the smartest way to incorporate Arc Fault? Dave mentioned the Fire Raptor. I'll look into that also.