Adding to existing system

Options
henchman
henchman Registered Users Posts: 2
We have 32 x 250 watt panels with enphase micro inverters.
I'd like to add on 6 x + 340+/- watt panels. 
Suggestions?

I'm handy technical. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Are you looking to add more panel+micro inverters (something like ~15 units per 20 amp @ 240 VDC) system(s).

Or are you interested in an array of panels connected to single "central" GT inverter system?

Do you have "solar light" shading issues (trees, buildings, chimney/stacks, etc. issues per panel)?

Generally, you have to tell the utility that you are installing GT solar (or adding to your existing system. And local building permit (I assume you have experience from your existing system).

The new NEC code has setback for solar panels from roof edge for fire fighter access. Also has a master array shutdown requirement (adds expense and complexity to central GT inverter systems).

You may run into utility/regulatory issues with a system >~10 kWatt (more/different requirements).

And you have to check your main panel that you have sufficient capacity to add the additional branch circuit for more panels.

As always, highly suggest you do one or more paper designs and ensure you have everything nailed down before purchasing hardware (very difficult to mix and match hardware after the fact with many solar power components).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • henchman
    henchman Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2019 #3
    Options

I am looking at adding 6 panels with microinverters.

Also, it will then be just under 10kWatt.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Sounds good.

What sort of comments/questions/suggestions are you looking for? Different cities and regional permitting authorities will use different versions of the NEC (the newer the NEC version, the more "stiff" the solar related regulations are).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Options

Where are you located and are you.on a net metering arrangement with your power company?

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K